Lauryn Hill sentenced to 3 months in jail for tax evasion
London: Singer Lauryn Hill has been sentenced in the US state of New Jersey for three months in jail for failing to pay taxes.
The Grammy-winning singer, who failed to pay taxes on about 1.8million-dollar of earnings between 2005-2007, also faces three months of home confinement, after pleading guilty last year, the BBC reported.
In a statement to the judge, Hill, 37, said that she had planned to pay the taxes but could not do so after she withdrew herself from public life and ended her music career to raise her six children.
"I am a child of former slaves who had a system imposed on them," she said in court.
"I had an economic system imposed on me," Hill added.
Hill, who started her career with hip-hop group Fugees alongside Wyclef Jean and Pras Michel, has six children, five of whom she had with Rohan Marley, the son of Bob Marley.
She released her acclaimed solo debut album, `The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill`, in 1998 and won five Grammy awards for it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Runway Bridal to return with fourth edition in September
- Mr World 2016 Rohit Khandelwal says it is easier for models to enter Bollywood!
- Sonakshi Sinha does not have aptitude to join politics!- READ
- Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput fulfil grandmother Neelima Azeem's wish!
- Veteran writer Salim Khan hails Bombay HC judgement on Haji Ali