Madonna’s charity builds ten schools in Malawi
Melbourne: Madonna has built 10 primary schools in Malawi during 2012, her charity has announced.
Two years after abandoning a 15-million-dollar girls’ academy, the 54-year-old singer said on Friday that the projects in 2012 will help educate 4871 children in the tiny southern African country, News.com.au reported.
The projects were carried out by the pop diva’s charity Raising Malawi and the global non-profit buildOn.
In a statement released by her charity, the ‘Like A Virgin’ hit-maker said that she was overjoyed that her commitment along with buildOn’s to help educate the children of Malawi had come to fruition.
She said that in a country where girls have little opportunity for education, it’s additionally inspiring to know that more than half the students attending are going to be young girls.
The schools, which had been scheduled to be constructed over 18 months, were completed six months ahead of schedule.
The charity said that six of the schools are already in use and all 10 would be up and running in January 2013 for the first day of school in the New Year.
Two years back, Madonna had controversially stopped the construction of the state-of-the-art 15-million-dollar Raising Malawi Academy for Girls (RMAG) in Chinkhota village, 15 kilometres from the administrative capital Lilongwe, after it was mired in allegations of financial mismanagement.
The academy, styled on the lines of the one built by TV host Oprah Winfrey in South Africa, was meant to offer 500 scholarships to girls from poor backgrounds and groom them into future leaders.
In abandoning the project, Madonna said that the academy would not have been adequate as two-thirds of the girls were not educated beyond primary school.
Instead, she said that she had wanted to reach thousands and not hundreds of girls by constructing several schools.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Arjun Kapoor to romance childhood `crush` Kareena Kapoor Khan?
- Shraddha to start shooting 'Rock On!! 2' from September
- Tiger Shroff's 'Baaghi' starts shooting tomorrow
- Cary Fukunaga leaves Stephen King's 'It' adaptation
- Artist sells other's Instagram photo for $90,000
- OMG! Shah Rukh Khan releases Salman's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' first look
- Noel Gallagher rejects Oasis reunion rumours
- Indian-American first vegetarian contestant on 'MasterChef US'
- Singers' role reversal: From behind the mic to facing arclights
- If you're 28, it doesn't mean you've to get married: Kangana Ranaut
- 'Gour Hari Dastaan' to release on August 14
- I'm fit and fine, Amitabh Bachchan clarifies
- Bombay HC grants permission to Salman Khan to travel abroad
- Shraddha Kapoor lost in Shillong!
- Arjun Kapoor, Ranveer Singh gear up for IIFA 2015
- B.B. King death to be investigated as homicide
- Ranveer Singh goes gaga over Anushka Sharma!
- Shahid Kapoor reaches the 6 million mark on Twitter!
- Bombay High Court likely to hear Salman Khan's travel plea on Tuesday
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita Khan's wedding reception in Mandi
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception at Mandi
- Kim Kardashian shares candid images on first anniversary with Kanye
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon