Marge Simpson `inspiration` Margaret Groening dies aged 94
London: `The Simpsons` creator Matt Groening`s mother Margaret, who was the basis for Marge in the popular animated series, died in her sleep on April 22 in Portland, Oregon. She was 94.
Her death was announced in an obituary notice in The Oregonian.
According to her obituary, she taught high school English before starting a family and was a talented needlework artist.
`The Simpsons` spokesman confirmed her death, the BBC reported.
Many of Matt`s family details went on to feature in `The Simpsons,` among them his mother`s maiden name - Wiggum - and his dad`s moniker Homer.
Homer, a World War II veteran and cartoonist, died in 1996.
Last month Matt confirmed that the inspiration behind the show`s fictional town of Springfield was Springfield, Oregon.
First broadcast in 1989, `The Simpsons` is the longest-running animated series on the US TV.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui starrer 'Manto' a very big project for me: Nandita Das
- Motherhood teaches you priorities in life: Farah Khan
- Chetan Bhagat shares a trivia about Shraddha Kapoor, Arjun Kapoor's 'Half Girlfriend'
- Working with Amitabh Bachchan was always on my wish list: Esha Gupta
- 'Dangal' director's next film with Sajid Nadiadwala