Mixed bag for film stars in Andhra Pradesh
Hyderabad: It was a mixed bag for film personalities in the simultaneous assembly and Lok Sabha elections in Telangana and Seemandhra.
Like many Congress heavyweights, the glamour faces of the party were defeated in Telangana. Popular actress Vijayashanti was defeated in Medak assembly constituency while another famous actress, Jayasudha, could not retain Secunderabad assembly seat.
Popularly known as `Lady Amitabh` for her action roles in many Telugu films, Vijayashanti quit the Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) and joined the Congress on the eve of the elections.
In 2009, the veteran actress was elected to the Lok Sabha from Medak. Last year, she was suspended from the TRS for anti-party activities. TRS chief K. Chandrasekhara Rao wanted to contest from the Medak Lok Sabha constituency, but she asserted no power on earth could stop her from seeking re-election from the same seat.
When the Congress decided to carve out separate Telangana state, she joined the party in the presence of Congress chief Sonia Gandhi. As TRS chief opted to contest from Medak for the Lok Sabha, she preferred the assembly segment. However, TRS candidate Padma Devender Reddy defeated her by 40,000 votes.
The 49-year-old actress, who acted in nearly 190 film in a three-decade-long career, had joined the BJP in 1997. She quit the party in 2005 to float a separate outfit Talli Telangana to fight for statehood for Telangana, but later merged the outfit with the TRS.
Jayasudha, who was elected to the assembly from Secunderabad on the Congress ticket in 2004 and 2009, suffered defeat this time. The 55-year-old, who acted in over 200 films, finished a poor third.
Comedy actor Babu Mohan, who quit Telugu Desam Party (TDP) to join the TRS just before the elections, was elected to the assembly from Andole in Medak district. He defeated former deputy chief minister Damodar Rajanarasimha of the Congress.
Babu Mohan was twice elected to the Andhra Pradesh assembly from the same constituency on a TDP ticket. He also served as a minister in Chandrababu Naidu`s cabinet 1999-2004. The actor, however, lost the 2004 and 2009 elections.
In Seemandhra, popular actor N. Balakrishna made his assembly debut. He was elected from Hindupur, a constituency once represented by his father and legendary actor N.T. Rama Rao, who founded the TDP.
Balakrishna is brother-in-law of TDP chief N. Chandrababu Naidu. His daughter is also married to Naidu`s son Lokesh.
Veteran actor Murali Mohan of the TDP was elected to the Lok Sabha from Rajahmundry. The 73-year-old actor-producer lost the election from the same constituency in 2009.
Finally, there was a smile on the face of actress R.K. Roja as she was elected to the assembly after two unsuccessful attempts. She romped home from Nagari constituency in Chittoor district on a YSR Congress ticket.
The 42-year-old lost the 2004 and 2009 elections on the TDP ticket. Roja, who acted in many Telugu and Tamil films, began her political career with the TDP. She was heading the women`s wing of the party. After the defeat in 2009, she quit the party and later joined the YSR Congress.
However, Roja was disappointed as her party failed to come to power in Seemandhra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Indian Idol Junior' sets ball rolling with Bollywood music
- Boman Irani, Sonu Sood to share relationship secrets on Farah Khan's show
- Ahsaan Qureshi in talks for 'Tu Mera Hero'?
- Azharuddin trains Emraan for biopic 'Azhar'
- Still in discussion: Ekta Kapoor on female lead of 'Azhar'
- 'PK', joint productions create Bollywood buzz in China
- Musical fund-raising event for Nepal quake victims
- Neha Sharma to romance John Abraham in 'Hera Pheri 3'
- I was called silly for doing 'Fashion': Priyanka Chopra
- 'Dil Dhadakne Do' cast to rock 'Comedy Nights With Kapil'
- Shah Rukh Khan discharged from hospital after knee surgery
- Late actress's brother upset with Kerala ex-minister
- Puri Jagannath to work with Nithiin before Chiranjeevi
- Jyotika's comeback film rakes in over Rs.8 crore
- Small role in Mahesh Babu's film means a lot: Tejaswini
- Karan Johar praises 'Baahubali - The Beginning'
- Not easy to scare audiences anymore: Arulnithi
- First look of Kamal Haasan's 'Thoongaavanam' out on May 25
- Jr. NTR delights fans with the glimpse of his son
- Esha Gupta to undergo workshop for Telugu debut
- Europe beckons Ram Charan
- Jyotika thanks fans for `36 Vayadhinile` success
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'