Most popular phrases used by dads revealed
London: “Do you think I`m made of money?” has topped a poll of the most frequently-used sayings among Britain’s dads, followed closely by “money doesn`t grow on trees,” a poll has revealed.
“Waste not want not” and “now, don’t go spending a lot on me” also found a spot in the top 20 best-loved phrases of the cash-conscious fathers.
The poll, commissioned by Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, of 2,000 adults found a list of the most common funny phrases the Britain’s fathers come out with on a daily basis.
However, not all of the remarks were money related, with mild admonishments and groan-inducing clichés also making it into the top 20 phrases.
“He’s as thick as two short planks” was the third most-used phrase, followed by “When I was your age” at number four.
At number 14 was a remark likely to resonate with teen daughters; “You’re not going out in that.”
The research also revealed that more than half of Britons believe their father use an average of eight different “dad phrases” on a regular basis.
“Everyone has probably known their dad to come out with something sarcastic, funny or just plain crazy at some stage in their lives, and it’s quite funny to see them all listed in one place,” a spokesman for the firm said.
“I’m sure everyone can go through the list and find one or two which their own dad has said before.
“It’s interesting to see that the top two are both money-related - it’s easy to see what is important to a lot of dads,” the spokesman added.
Researchers also found that 55 percent of Britons said that there are certain phrases they will always associate with their dad, while 63 percent said that they found the sayings amusing.
A total of 43 percent admitted to using the phrases they heard their dad say while they were growing up, revealing the kernel of truth in the 18th most-popular phrase – “ you`ll understand when you`re older.”
Another 54 percent believed they will, or already do, repeat the “dad phrases” that they heard to their own kids.
Fathers’ top 20 most-used phrases:
1. Do you think I`m made of money?
2. Money doesn`t grow on trees
3. He’s as thick as two short planks
4. When I was your age...
5. I’m not sleeping, I’m just resting my eyes
6. I`m not going to tell you again
7. Were you raised in a barn?
8. Don`t talk back to your mother
9. If you were told to jump off a cliff, would you?
10. They don`t make them like they used to
11. Stop crying or I`ll give you something to cry about
12. Don’t tell your mother
13. Waste not, want not
14. You`re not going out in that
15. We were grateful to have an orange for Christmas
16. Now don`t go spending a lot on me
17. A little hard work never hurt anybody
18. You’ll understand when you`re older
19. You don’t know you`re born
20. Don`t let the bedbugs bite
Image courtesy: lakesideconnect.com