Mould in Christmas trees could make you ill

London: Traditional pine needle trees could be behind a list of seasonal health complaints including tiredness, wheezing and even insomnia, scientists have suggested.

Christmas Tree Syndrome is caused by mould spores and was discovered after scientists investigated a peak in breathing problems during December.

Experts examined clippings from 28 trees, including needles and bark and found 53 cases of mould.

Victims complained of a host of symptoms including fatigue, chest pains, sinus congestion, itchy nose and shortness of breath.

It is believed some forms of the mould can also trigger life- threatening conditions like pneumonia and bronchitis.

Good news is that Dr Lawrence Kurlandsky, who led the research, has suggested ways to enjoy a tree without risking your health.

“Firstly, hose down your tree in the garden and leave it to dry before bringing it inside,” the Daily Star quoted him as saying.

“Then remove it swiftly after Christmas Day, long before the traditional Twelfth Night,” he added.


By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link