Okay to give early teens cellphones, but not tablets
Washington: The appropriate age for teens to own a cell phone is 13 to 15 years but for tablets and smart phones, it should be 16 years or more, a new survey has revealed.
The survey conducted by opinion community site SodaHead.com took into consideration, the opinion of 1,066 respondents of various ages, including teenagers.
54 percent of the respondents said children should receive their first cell phone between the ages of 13 and 15, while 24 percent said that children 12 and under should have a phone, reports Live Science.
Around 22 percent of the respondents held that cell phones should be given out only to those, who are 16 years and older.
Married respondents were more than twice as likely as singles to believe that kids should wait till they are 16 to get their first cell phone, the poll revealed.
About 33 percent of parents believed 16 is the appropriate age for a phone, while only 17 percent of those who are unmarried said that a child should wait that long.
When it comes to more expensive high-tech products such as smartphones and tablets, the majority of respondents believed kids shouldn’t own smart phones (66 percent) and tablets (67 percent) until they are 16.
Surprisingly, 64 percent of teen respondents also said teenagers should wait until they are 16 to get their first tablet. But only 8 percent of teens believed they should have to wait until 16 for their first cell phone.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bigg Boss, Day 45: Kanwaljeet’s ‘racist’ comment irks Priya; inmates celebrate Rochelle’s birthday!
- Michael Caine named Britain's greatest living movie star
- Aamir's contribution towards cinema is immense: Gracy Singh
- Bigg Boss: Keith Sequeira makes a comeback
- 'Dilwale' inspires Shah Rukh Khan, makes him tweet about life!
- India made Aamir Khan’s 'PK' a blockbuster, that's tolerance: BJP MP
- Good news for food lovers in Mumbai: City to celebrate first Family Food Festival
- Dev Diwali, Karthigai Deepam: Know significance and legend
- Spirituality: Chant Dhanvantri Mantra for healing, good health
- Guru Nanak Jayanti: Here’s how it is celebrated