Oprah Winfrey urges atheists to believe in God if they experience `awe, wonder`
London: Oprah Winfrey has come under fire from atheists after she suggested that non-believers cannot experience "awe" and "wonder" of the universe and if they do experience it, then they should believe in God.
While interacting with US swimmer and atheist Diana Nyad on her show ` Soul to Soul `, the talk show Queen asked Nyad if she was not a God person, then why was she still deeply in awe of the universe like she had told the show`s producers, the Independent reported.
When Nyad replied saying that she didn`t understand the link between God and awe, the TV mogul said that she could stand with the most devout Christian, Jew, Buddhist and weep at the beauty of the universe, and be moved by all of humanity.
Winfrey asserted that for her the definition of God is love of humanity, before telling Nyad that her beliefs did not fit with traditional atheism.
She added that if a person believes in the awe, the wonder, and the mystery, then that is what God is and not the bearded guy in the sky.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dia Mirza joins 'Save the Children' as Artist Ambassador! See Pics
- Deepwater Horizon movie review: Disastrously awful
- Tom Holland's 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' trailer features 'Iron Man' – Watch
- Wedding special: Themes to make your D-Day unforgettable!
- Befikre movie review: Ranveer Singh, Vaani Kapoor starrer struggles hard to recreate Aditya Chopra magic