Pepsi brings back MJ for new ad campaign
Washington: PepsiCo Inc. has collaborated with Michael Jackson’s estate to use the pop legend’s image and his music in a series of new ads across the world.
The promotion will vary across the globe but will include Jackson’s silhouette on 1 billion special-edition cans as well as a TV spot, contests and the opportunity for fans to download remixes of some of the King of Pop’s top hits.
The Michael Jackson campaign also will coincide with the 25th anniversary of the ‘Bad’ album and his 1988 tour, which the company sponsored.
It is part of PepsiCo’s “Live for Now” promotion, which Brad Jakeman, president of Global Enjoyment Brands and chief creative officer of PepsiCo’s Global Beverage Group, said was meant to highlight the company’s relationship with pop culture.
PepsiCo. is also expected to release a TV ad featuring Nicki Minaj next week.
Jackson and the beverage company have a relationship that goes back to 1983, when he and his brothers appeared in the ‘New Generation’ campaign.
In 1984, during a Pepsi commercial shoot that changed Jackson’s life, pyrotechnics accidentally set his hair on fire. Ten years later, he admitted that he’d been hooked on prescription drugs since the accident.
Laura Ries, president of Ries and Ries, an Atlanta marketing strategy firm, said that it made sense for PepsiCo to bring back Jackson, especially for the ‘Bad’ anniversary, because fans were eager to revisit good memories of the entertainer.
“We all want to remember the Michael who was the ‘King of Pop’,” ABC News quoted her as saying.
“He’s very iconic. … Enough time has passed [since his 2009 death].
“They will be excited to remember Michael Jackson and excited about Pepsi,” she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Bajirao Mastani': Ranveer Singh, Deepika Padukone and Sanjay Leela Bhansali's big 'champion' win at Filmfare 2016!
- Boyfriend goals: Ranveer Singh ecstatic with Deepika Padukone's 'xXx' rage!-- See pic
- Sunny Deol's 'Ghayal Once Again' rakes in Rs 26.85 cr!
- Akshay-Nimrat's 'Airlift' roars at the Box Office, mints Rs 121.74 cr!
- Big clash of 2016: Aamir Khan's 'Dangal' head on with Prabhas and SS Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' at the Box Office?
- Mahabharata: Who was the only Kaurava to oppose Draupadi’s vastraharan?
- How 16-year-old Markandeya defied death; lesson we can learn
- Valentine week: Top WhatsApp messages you can send on 'Chocolate Day'!
- Valentine week: Why 'chocolates' not diamonds are a girl's best friend!
- What is the colour of your aura – Your Zodiac sign will tell you