Pranab Mukherjee calls on film industry to portray positive social values
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee has called upon the film industry to portray positive societal values through movies to build tolerant and harmonious India.
Expressing concern at growing violence against women and children, Mukheerjee said, cinema can play a pivotal role in resetting the moral compass of the society and prevent erosion of values.
Mukherjee was addressing the 60th National Film award function in New Delhi on Friday evening.
He hailed the contribution of Indian cinema, which he said reflects India`s soft power the world over.
He said, Indian film Industry has upgraded and altered the manner in which the films are produced and it has market in large number of countries.
He said country`s cinema has greatly improved in terms of quality over the years and Indian film makers are now recognized and acclaimed worldwide.
Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari announced instituting centenary film award, which will be given from this year for paradigm shift in film making.
Tewari also announced plans for renovating the Delhi-based Mahadev Auditorium into a platform to discuss alternative film making.
President Mukherjee also released commemorative postal stamps depicting stalwarts of Indian Cinema.
Communications and Information Technology Minister Kapil Sibal was also present at the function.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend goals: Ranveer Singh ecstatic with Deepika Padukone's 'xXx' rage!-- See pic
- Sunny Deol's 'Ghayal Once Again' rakes in Rs 26.85 cr!
- Akshay-Nimrat's 'Airlift' roars at the Box Office, mints Rs 121.74 cr!
- Big clash of 2016: Aamir Khan's 'Dangal' head on with Prabhas and SS Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' at the Box Office?
- 'Big Hero 6' screenwriter Daniel Gerson dies at 49
- Mahabharata: Who was the only Kaurava to oppose Draupadi’s vastraharan?
- How 16-year-old Markandeya defied death; lesson we can learn
- Valentine week: Top WhatsApp messages you can send on 'Chocolate Day'!
- Valentine week: Why 'chocolates' not diamonds are a girl's best friend!
- What is the colour of your aura – Your Zodiac sign will tell you