Priyanka Chopra campaigns for clean Yamuna
Agra: Bollywood actress Priyanka Chopra today cleaned the Yamuna river here in a symbolic gesture as part of an initiative to create awareness for environmental issues.
Wearing oversized sunglasses and a white kurti, the 29-year-old star picked up a mason`s fork and cleaned the floating rubbish from the bank of the Yamuna at the Dussehra ghat, with the iconic Taj Mahal in the backdrop.
The event kickstarted the fourth Greenathon campaign of a news channel, of which Priyanka is the brand ambassador.
"This time we began our campaign from Agra because tourist inflow is maximum here. Taj Mahal is on the bank of river Yamuna, which has become a dumping zone of waste materials now. If we do not protect our environment our future will be dark," Priyanka said.
Model-actor Milind Soman and Abhishek Mishra, Minister of State for Protocol, UP, alongwith local environmental organizations and school children joined her in the effort. The whole exercise took about an hour.
Earlier, the actress spent about an hour visiting the Taj Mahal.
Launched in April 2008, the Green campaign is aimed at creating awareness about environmental issues.
As part of this year`s drive Soman will run from Delhi to Mumbai, starting on April 19 and ending in Mumbai on May 20, when Greenathon 4 will have its gala annual fund raising telethon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan’s ‘Bigg Boss’ season 10: Check out the tentative list of contestants
- Rahul Khanna to host TV show 'The Mavericks'
- Look what Sonali Bendre has to say about her comeback
- Playing Sikh man in a serious film was tough: Vir Das
- Hansal Mehta reveals Rajkummar's look from 'Omerta' on his birthday
- What makes some people binge drink while others stay sober! Read inside
- In a rush for office? Grab a quick, fun breakfast
- Chris Brown released from jail on USD 250,000 bail
- Do you love to buy handbags and worry about where to keep them? Watch video for help!
- Are blackheads giving you nightmares? Relax, and watch this video