Shah Rukh Khan promises "never-seen-before" opening ceremony of IPL 6
Kolkata: Kolkata Knight Riders co-owner and Bollywood superstar Shahrukh Khan today promised a "spectacular and never-seen-before" opening ceremony of the Indian Premier League 6 to be held at the Salt Lake stadium here tomorrow.
Before the start of the two-month long exhilarating cricket, the opening ceremony of IPL 6, described as the greatest show ever in India by the organisers, would stay true to its theme of `cricketainment`.
"The opening nite of IPL 2013 will be a spectacular ceremony, the likes of which India has never seen before," Shahrukh said.
"I will be performing to some of my songs. Katrina Kaif and Deepika Padukone, two of my co-stars, will also be there. Pitbull, the international rapper, will also thrill the audiences," he added.
The trio would perform to a medley of Bollywood chart-toppers after which Pitbull is expected to join them on the stage with some of his popular rap numbers.
Last year, American pop star Katy Perry had performed during the opening ceremony of IPL 5 in Chennai.
The Salt Lake stadium, mainly used for hosting football matches, has been decorated in a lavish way, which includes a mammoth-size stage for the opening show.
The opening ceremony will have cheerleaders, flying drummers, gymnasts, rhythm acrobats, stilt-walkers, air-tumblers and mass dancers coming together to entertain the audiences.
A huge podium has been erected, while the artificial turf is being covered with a rubber mat, where the artists will perform.
Precautions have also been taken so that the astroturf used for football matches does not get damaged.
The opening ceremony would begin with a traditional welcome during which a huge balloon carrying the IPL Cup would descend on the stadium in a segment titled `The IPL Universe` where the nine teams will be seen as planets.
A large troup of 300 dancers is expected to perform on a track composed by Bollywood composer Pritam.
A troupe of 19 Red Poppy artistes, a band of women percussionists from China, would add to another international touch to the celebrations.
KKR CEO Venky Mysore said they have also invited West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee to light the inaugural lamp tomorrow.
"I had a short courtesy meeting with her today. We requested her to be present and thanked her for her support," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India feels like home: Fawad Khan
- Ban on women's entry in some temples unfair: Vidya Balan
- Bollywood film 'Neerja' banned in Pakistan
- Salman hit and run case: Victim's family challenge Salman Khan's acquittal
- Fawad Khan, Sidharth Malhotra, Alia Bhatt's unmissable family drama in 'Kapoor & Sons' trailer – Watch
- How Mahishasura invited death by undermining woman power – Durga
- Saraswati Puja on Vasant Panchami - Tithi, Muhurt and Vidhi
- Do you know the colour of your personality?—Take this quiz
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Teddy Day' with these cute gift options!
- 'Happy Birthday' set for public domain after long feud