Singer S. Janaki refuses to accept Padma Bhushan
Chennai: Expressing dissatisfaction over the number of people from South India figuring in the Padma awards list for 2013, southern playback singer Sreeramamurthy Janaki Friday refused to accept Padma Bhushan award announced for her on the eve of 64th Republic Day.
"I`m saddened by the fact that north India has been given more prominence than south India. I`m extremely disappointed and I refuse to accept the award," Janaki told reporters.
The 74-year old veteran made her singing debut in 1957 Tamil film `Vidhiyin Vilayattu`. She has crooned over 15,000 songs in a career spanning five decades across all southern languages and in Hindi.
She has a long association with singer S.P. Balasubramanyam. The two have sung more than 1,000 songs together.
She has won four National Awards and the prestigious `Kalamamani` state award of Tamil Nadu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Unbelievable! This is what Amitabh Bachchan tells Kangana Ranaut every time he meets her
- This former girlfriend of Salman Khan has replaced Deepika Padukone in Kabir Khan’s ‘Tubelight’
- Here’s why ‘Raees’ Shah Rukh Khan and ‘Baadshaho’ Ajay Devgn won’t clash at the Box
- Here's what B-Town stars have to say about Keenan-Reuben murder case verdict!
- Singer Mika Singh gets bail in assault case
- This viral puzzle is making the internet go crazy! Can you solve this?
- Rio 2016 Olympic Games: This ad will make you hug your mom, thank her for all what she has done for you
- Mahabharata’s Bhima was married to a rakshasi – Do you know who she is
- Are Indians shifting their focus from gyming to dancing – Click here to read more
- Interesting! Here’s how India women feel about representation of woman in movies