Thinner colleagues motivate women to lose weight
London: Looking at thinner colleagues in the office might be a strong motivational factor for women to lose weight.
A new study reveals that along with this competition with colleagues regarding weight , women also require higher energy and stamina levels to perform in their professions and this often leads to a condition termed as `Diet Brain`, reports femalefirst.co.uk.
Almost 40 percent of women have admitted to suffering from this condition. It involves mood swings which impact on close relationships and performance at work.
"The modern workplace is an increasingly competitive arena for women and appearances certainly do matter so it’s no surprise that women are under pressure to diet to look better than their colleagues," said Linda O’Byrne, chief nutritionist for the New Atkins Nutritional Approach.
Byrne also says how some women skip meals which is very unhealthy.
"While it’s encouraging that women are rejecting unrealistic images of what a healthy, adult woman’s shape should be, many are going about it the wrong way, sometimes dodging meals altogether to ‘keep up’ with workmates bragging about how little they have eaten and how much weight they have lost," she said.
"Skipping meals causes your metabolism to slow down and makes you much more likely to give in to sweet treats so often available in the office, or overeat at tea time," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Robert Downey Jr travels with his furniture
- Hundreds say farewell at funeral for blues great BB King
- Kim Kardashian is a great wing woman: Paris Hilton
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' breaks into Rs 100 crore club
- Vidya Balan turns down Suchitra Sen biopic
- Disney pulls plug on 'Tron 3'
- 21 European films to be screened in Kolkata
- Mamata Banerjee remembers Rituparno Ghosh as West Bengal's pride
- Iggy Azalea cancels tour
- 'Ishqedarriyaan' review: An oft-seen love story
- Chris Brown sometimes hated himself
- Chris Brown sometimes hated himself
- Nicki Minaj particular about sex
- Taylor Swift accepts she isn't 'overtly sexy'
- 'Share your Plate' campaign to aid underprivileged kids
- Regional cuisines to dominate in coming year: Chef Sanjay Thomas
- David Gandy to quit modelling
- Ian Somerhalder refuses to pose for fans
- Kate Moss feels she's as famous as Katie Price
- I looked in the mirror and hated the person I see: Chris Brown
- Dyeing hair makes men look older: George Clooney
- Pharrell Williams buys USD 7m Hollywood Hills home
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- DNA: Exploitation of migrant workers in Qatar
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- MHA notification: SC issues notice to Delhi govt
- Protests outside IIT-Madras against ban on students' group
- Railways may hike AC class fares from June 1, 2015
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 29, 2015
- Special: Heart-wrenching tales of elderly people in old age homes
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared today soon
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Maggi noodles controversy: Case to be filed against Nestle in UP today
- Arrival of Monsoon over Kerala delayed by 2-3 days: Met Department
- US formally removes Cuba from terror blacklist in landmark move
- If Congress was pro-poor, why does poverty still exist in India, asks PM Narendra Modi
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- Govt committed to One Rank, One Pension: PM Narendra Modi
- Check biharboard.ac.in / biharboard.bih.nic.in for Bihar School Examination Board BSEB Inter Arts Result 2015