Rama Sreekant shares a few tips
1. Online shopping is the rage. The wise thing would be to check out your options in the store, at a mall and then buy it online. For instance, you could always walk in to a Clarks store, check out the shoes you want to buy, the size, colour etc. Go back home, log on to one of the e-commerce portals like www.myntra.com, www.flipkart.com to buy the same pair at better and cheaper price!
2. Promote Indian craftsmen: Buy your trinkets, handicrafts and other festive accessories from a NGO. Support their cause for the season of gifting is also the season of giving! You'll feel much better about where and how you're spending your money too.
3. Buy in bulk: Make a list of gifting items that you need to buy and put down the names of the people you want to buy them for. Head out to Crawford Market or one of the wholesale markets to buy in bulk. This is bound to fetch you more for less.
4. Don't carry a credit card. Plan in advance to carry 'X' amount of cash, this way you will spend only as much as you have. This is a feasible strategy to resist the urge of swipe, swipe, swipe.
5. Deals, Deals, Deals, is what's in the air, this season! If you are planning to take a trip in December, book your tickets now. If you have a family wedding to attend around Christmas, this is great time to buy home appliances as a gifting item.