Tips for travel in the snowing Himachal
Shimla: If you are keen for some adventure in the hills of Himachal Pradesh in the winter snow, here are a few tips:
1. Make sure your trip is planned well in advance. Check on general road conditions and confirm whether the high mountain passes are open.
2. Most of the picturesque destinations in Kinnaur, Chamba, Lahaul and Spiti and Kullu districts are at high altitudes. During winter and monsoon, you must carry heavy woollens, jackets and some eatables as you may have to remain stranded at roadsides for days together.
3. If crossing high passes, good health is essential.
4. If driving in a four-wheeler, make sure you have an extra driver, especially if you plan to drive at night. Carrying extra fuel is must.
5. High mountains, though beautiful, are rugged, cold and inhospitable and no place for an inexperienced or ill-equipped trekker. In most of the cases, trekkers die from high-altitude sickness or on slipping off icy tracks or because they were marooned by blizzards. So prefer to trek in small groups with the help of local guides.