3,860 monuments of national importance in India
New Delhi: There are 3,680 monuments of national importance in India, of which over 950 sites are identified as places of worship, parliament was told Tuesday.
"There are 3,680 monuments declared as of national importance and of these 955 sites have been identified as places of worship in the country," Culture and Tourism Minister Shripad Yesso Naik told the Lok Sabha in a written reply.
"During the last three years, five monuments/sites have been declared as of national importance," he added.
As per the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Sites and Remains Act, 1958, ancient monuments of archaeological or artistic interest, and remains which are of historical, archaeological or artistic interest and have been in existence for not less than 100 years, may be declared by the central government as of national importance.
The minister also stated that the ministry has received 25 proposals from various parts of the country for protection of monuments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Film with Shah Rukh Khan, Alia Bhatt won't be typically romantic: Gauri Shinde
- See in pic: Anil Kapoor in awe of daughters, Sonam and Rhea Kapoor!
- Shilpa Shetty rejoices 4 million Twitter followers
- I don't know my caste or creed, I'm universal: Amitabh Bachchan
- First trailer of Clooney's 'Hail, Caesar!' unveiled