ASI unearths a slice of Harappa in north Rajasthan
New Delhi: Artefacts dating to the Harappan era have been excavated in Karanpura of Hanumangarh district in Rajasthan, the first time remains of the Indus Valley Civilisation have been found in this part.
"The excavation has brought to light house complexes built of mud bricks of both Early (3300-2600 Before Common Era) and Mature (2600-1900 BCE) Harappan periods. Even though scattered remains and fragments of baked bricks are available, it was not found in any building," said Archaeological Survey of India superintending archaeologist V.S. Prabhakar in a lecture at the India International Centre here Monday.
"The presence of bichrome ware consisting of red ware, decorated with black and white-coloured painted motifs, is also noticed from the Early Harappan period, a few of which continues during the Mature Harappan period," he added.
"Presence of rhinoceros bones point to the marshy environment the Harappans were accustomed to," said Prabhakar.
Harappan pottery along with terracotta bangles, grinding stone fragments, beads of agate and an animal terracotta figurine were excavated.
Numerous copper artefacts reveal trade ties people here had with other civilisations.
Apart from motifs like circles, pipal leaves on various items, graffiti on pottery and artefacts like the spindle whorls are distinguished features.
The Indus Valley civilisation is one of the earliest urban civilisations and also known as the Harappan civilisation.
Karanpura is located on the right bank of Drishadvati river, now Chautang, in the upper reaches and is located between Siswal, Haryana (upstream) and Sothi, Rajasthan (downstream). The river is dried up now.
The archaeological remains at Karanpura were first discovered in 2010 and the excavation branch started work in December 2012. The work will end soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bigg Boss season 10: Salman Khan blasts Swami Om; Sahil Anand evicted!
- Check out these 10 essential fashion life hacks that everyone should know!
- Here's how Aamir Khan plans to surprise Kiran Rao on their 11th wedding anniversary!
- Shah Rukh Khan aka Miyan Bhai's dialoguebaazi from 'Raees' takes excitement up a notch!
- Alia Bhatt, Varun Dhawan to recreate 'Tamma Tamma' magic in 'Badrinath Ki Dulhania'!
- Dia Mirza joins 'Save the Children' as Artist Ambassador!
- Jayalalithaa death: Sudarsan Pattnaik pays sand art tribute to the iconic leader
- Maharashtra government mulling to start Mangeshkar 'school of music'
- New York museum to exhibit largest collective chant of 'Om'
- Author Ruskin Bond gets Lifetime Achievement Award, bats for climate change