Assam to pay rich tributes to Bhupen Hazarika
Guwahati: Assam will pay rich tributes to legendary singer and music maestro Bhupen Hazarika on the occasion of Rongali Bihu festival.
Most of the Bihutolis (fields where Bihu functions are held) have decided to pay tribute to the legendary singer remembering his contribution to all round development of Assam, particularly in the field of music, culture and literature.
The late music maestro, who passed away in November last year, had stopped singing at public functions a few years back due to old age, but he made it a point to travel back to the people of Assam during Rongali Bihu every year.
Bihu, a week-long festival that celebrates the onset of spring season, starts from the 13th day of April.
"We are organizing special programmes in our Bihutoli to honour the doyen of Assamese music, besides paying tribute to him," said B. Sarma, a member of the Latasil Bihu Sanmiloni - the oldest Bihu Sanmiloni of Guwahati.
The Pub Guwahati Bihu Sanmiloni, another important Bihu celebration committee in Guwahati, has also decided to dedicate the celebrations this time to Bhupen Hazarika and litterateur Indira Goswami, who also passed away a few months back.
Besides, most of the singers and performs across the state have also decided to pay their tribute to the music maestro this time. While some are already rehearsing the golden lyrics of Hazarika for performance in functions across the state, some organizers of the Bihu functions have named their stages after the music maestro. Some of the organizers, on the other hand, have decided to dedicate the cultural evenings on the name of the balladeer.
Six leading singers and admirers of the maestro have formed a musical hexagon - Sur Sandhan - to pay tribute to the maestro through songs scripted on his life. The six veteran singers include Smita Bhattacharya, Malobika Bora, Manisha Hazarika, Debojit Choudhury, Bipul Baruah and J.P. Das.
"This initiative is to commemorate the contributions of the bard and balladeer in various fields of Assamese society," said Manisha Hazarika, who is leading hexagon.
The group will perform at various places of the state. Their performance will comprise 12 songs which will take about two hours. The 12 songs are based on different phases of Bhupen Hazarika`s life.
"Every aspect of the life of the maestro will be covered in the programme through 12 songs," said Kirti Kamal Bhuyan, who has composed the songs.
Hundreds of Bihu functions are being organized across the state to celebrate the Rongali Bihu festival. In Guwahati, there are more than 50 Bihu Sanmilans.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amber Heard files for divorce from Johnny Depp
- Have you seen what Shraddha Kapoor does when free? Pics inside
- All you want to know about Salman Khan-Arijit Singh feud! – Details inside
- Super-hot! Sussane Khan, Bipasha Basu, Malaika Arora on the cover of Femina Luxury issue
- This packing hack is just awesome! Watch video
- ‘Just married’ Bipasha Basu’s response to Raj Kundra’s ‘family planning’ question is epic!
- Katrina Kaif in swimsuit - Check out this pic
- Who is miffed with Vidya Balan for supporting Kangana Ranaut?
- Mother’s Day: Sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik pays beautiful tribute to Mothers
- World Heritage Day: Chola architecture photo exhibition begins at Darasuram temple