Bengal`s clay artists seek funds for medical needs
Kolkata: Plagued with eyesight problems, potters of Kumartuli, the world famous residence-cum-studios of clay modelling artisans of West Bengal, are planning to increase the seasonal fees for photographers to add to their medical camp fund.
The Kumartuli Mritishilpi Committee (artists` welfare association) which runs a medical camp for the potters twice a week is also hoping tourists and photographers who visit during the festive season can cough up some money on their own to help them.
"We have a seasonal ticket of Rs.50 starting from Saraswati puja in February each year. The funds we collect from it go towards arranging the weekly camps. We bring in doctors twice a week. Their consultancy fee and money for drugs are taken from that fund. However, this year we have collected lesser than last year," committee spokesperson Babu Pal told IANS Saturday.
"We are planning to increase the ticket price. Most of our workers have eyesight problems because of the intricate sculpting and painting of the idols," he said.
The camp has been on for the last 16 years.
The area in north Kolkata is the place where the life-like idols of Durga and her family are impeccably sculpted using clay and straw and virtually brought to life with paint, sarees and ornaments.
Durga puja, the biggest festival of the Bengali community, begins Sep 29.
According to Hindu mythology, goddess Durga, accompanied by her four children Ganesh, Kartik, Lakshmi and Saraswati, descends to Earth each year to visit her parents, thus leading to the celebration of Durga puja.
Pal said there was another welfare association, a minor one, which would levy Rs.10 per day starting this puja.
"The money they are collecting is not for a charitable purpose. It is mainly to keep away excess photographers whose activities cause distractions.
"We want people to visit and see our work. If they are happy to contribute on their own, then that is a huge gesture for the benefit of our community," Pal said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anne Hathaway's 'Colossal' sued for being similar to Godzilla'
- Indus Valley script numerical, not language: Historian
- Kamal Haasan's next titled Cheekati Rajyam' in Telugu
- Pooja Hegde finishes 101 days of 'Mohenjo Daro' shoot
- Meghan Trainor to do `special song` with Harry Styles
- Zayn Malik left 1D due to `exhaustion` from road tours
- How nasty allergy helped Jessica Alba built $1 billion business empire in 4 yrs
- Noel Gallagher admits he was 'high' when he penned Oasis' lyrics
- J.K. Rowling feels reputation restored post Daily Mail apology
- Richa Chadha meets her 'idol' Marion Cotillard in Cannes
- Jimmy Sheirgill's Punjabi film 'Shareek' to release in October
- Matthew Goode leaving 'The Good Wife'
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Sharon Osbourne taking month long break form 'The Talk'
- 'Supergirl' won't have cross over with 'Arrow' and 'The Flash'
- Time has come to quit 'Doctors': Ian Kelsey
- Nick Nolte to play disgraced US president in new series
- 'Heroes Reborn' brings back Greg Grunberg
- Marvel's 'Empire of the Dead' to be adapted for TV
- Divyanka Tripathi intimidates her fans
- 'Indian Idol Junior' sets ball rolling with Bollywood music
- Boman Irani, Sonu Sood to share relationship secrets on Farah Khan's show
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared