Capturing environmental concerns through art
New Delhi: Believing that art is a strong medium to create awareness about the environment, artists from 25 cities have come together to express their concerns through art installations, paintings and photographs.
The 15 artists have joined hands under the theme `Join World Environment Day` to coincide with the World Environment Day that is observed June 5.
Bringing together the artists for the three-day exhibition, curator Jitendra Padam Jain said it was not aimed at preaching to the people but a small step to create awareness on the subject.
"It took me four months to conceptualise the theme. It is extremely important for all of us to realise that we are ignoring an important part of our lifestyle. Through this exhibition artists have tried to express their concerns using various forms of creativity," Jain said.
"If all of us take a small step in our daily lives, we will be able to make a big difference in the quest for an environment-friendly planet. This is our way of doing it," he added.
He said artists will be showcasing installations, video art, paintings and photographs to talk about the environment.
Nilanjana Nandy, one of the artists, said her art predominately deals with an urban scenario in which everything is object-oriented.
"Too many man-made things are dominating our society. You look around and you see concrete buildings replacing trees and gardens. We seem to be in a hurry to move ahead at the cost of the environment," Nandy said.
Apart from the participating artists, the exhibition will also have paintings by fashion designers like Aneeth Arora and Anuradha Raman.
Social activist Jaya Jaitly and entrepreneurs like Aashmeen Munjaal and Arpita Bannsal will also showcase their paintings.
Jain said the proceedings from the exhibition will be donated to street children.
Presented by Gallery Sree Arts, the exhibition is at Galerie Romain Rolland in the Indo-French Cultural Centre in Lodhi Estate. It will begin June 7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nick Jonas 'too short' to play James Bond
- Regina George's 'Mean Girls' mansion up for sale
- Sharon Osbourne taking one-month break
- Lively called Reynolds a 'hypocrite'
- Taylor Swift's fiercely loyal: Karlie Kloss
- Ed Sheeran may take year off
- Famed Detroit jazz trumpeter Marcus Belgrave dies at 78
- French immigration thriller bags Cannes Palme d'Or
- Rooney Mara, Emmanuelle Bercot share Cannes best actress award
- Feel sad to not see KKR at Eden: Shah Rukh Khan
- Anushka Sharma feels 'terrible' on being sick, misses fun with DDD boys
- Susan Sarandon inaugurates homes for Nepal quake survivors
- Celebrities show support for Ireland's vote for same sex marriage
- Myleene Klass 'happy' post ending year-old relationship with beau
- Ed Sheeran planning a year-long sabbatical to `live a bit`
- Kimye to relive the `best time` of their lives one more time
- Robert De Niro inspires young grads
- JK Rowling feels reputation restored post Daily Mail apology
- `Boxer fetished` Justin Bieber won't repeat underwears
- British actor Terry Sue-Patt found dead
- Allu Arjun inspires brother to sport six-pack abs
- Iconic `Mean Girls` mansion up for grabs at USD 15M
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- PM Modi to address rally in Mathura, may announce 'one rank, one pension' scheme implementation
- Kejriwal to hold 'Jan Sabha' to mark 100 days of AAP govt, may demand full statehood for Delhi