China uncovers early Buddhist architecture
Beijing: Archaeologists in China`s Shanxi province have discovered a 1,400-year-old temple where a collection of the Buddha statues was once stored.
The shrine, enclosed by walls carved with Buddha niches, is part of the Tongzi temple complex secluded on a mountain near the city of Taiyuan, capital of Shanxi, Xinhua reported Sunday.
According to the researchers with the Institute of Archaeology of Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, the structure was built in 556 A.D. during the Northern Qi Dynasty (550-557), a booming period for Buddhism.
"The structure is the only one of its kind ever found in China and it sheds light on early Buddha carvings," said Li Yuqun, researcher with the Institute of Archaeology of Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, and lead archaeologist on the excavation.
Though destroyed in war in 1117, the temple has yielded up a batch of well-preserved statues. One of its walls was carved with a Buddha figure over 20 metres in height. It was unrecognisable after so many years, but archaeologists unearthed some remnants that suggest its original looks.
The structure also houses a 2.6-metre mural dating from the Tang Dynasty (618-907), which archaeologists believe is of great value as the oldest in the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking! Johnny Depp opens up on divorce with Amber Heard—Details inside
- Guys, the 'Baywatch' BAE Priyanka Chopra is back!
- Legend behind the famous Baijnath Shiva temple—You will be surprised to know the British connection!
- What's the joke? Riteish Deshmukh and Akshay Kumar's 'Housefull3' moment!
- Was intimidated by Amit Trivedi: 'Baby Doll' singer Kanika Kapoor
- Modern Indian masters, rare art works at Christie's sale
- ‘Just married’ Bipasha Basu’s response to Raj Kundra’s ‘family planning’ question is epic!
- Katrina Kaif in swimsuit - Check out this pic
- Who is miffed with Vidya Balan for supporting Kangana Ranaut?
- Mother’s Day: Sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik pays beautiful tribute to Mothers