Cuban fishermen discover ancient artifacts
Havana: Fishermen in Cuba`s Pinar del Rio province have discovered artifacts believed to be from a 17th or 18th century shipwreck.
The "important marine archaeological find" was recently discovered off the coast of Puerto Esperanza, a town in Pinar del Rio, suggest reports.
The find comprises some 60 artifacts, including firearms, cannon balls, swords and machetes.
"While it`s important to point out that this is an interesting discovery, it`s crucial to insist that such finds of historical value must remain and be preserved in their own setting," a researcher and member of Cuba`s Naval Maritime Historical Group, Enrique Giniebra said.
The coasts around the province are littered with shipwrecks dating from the age of pirates on the high seas, Giniebra added.
This particular find is considered as the most important till date in the province.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ranveer Singh's act in 'Bajirao Mastani' stirred me: Hrithik Roshan
- Diljit Dosanjh is Ekta Kapoor's 'Super Singh'
- Good head of hair a real confidence booster: Priyanka Chopra
- Javed Akhtar turns 72, wife Shabana Azmi praises his 'magical persona'
- Shah Rukh Khan, Nawazuddin to promote 'Raees' in Dubai
- Raj Kapoor loved his cinema, booze, leading ladies: Rishi Kapoor
- Makar Sankranti, Pongal, Bihu wishes throng Twitter; look who said what!
- Book on Swami Vivekananda launched on his 154th birth anniversary
- How to organise a Lohri party?
- Swami Vivekananda Jayanti: Sudarsan Pattnaik pays sand art tribute on National Youth Day