Gaitonde`s work leads Sotheby`s upcoming auction
New York: Modernist painter V.S. Gaitonde`s painting is estimated to fetch $2-3 million in the forthcoming sale of international auction house Sothbey`s Modern and Contemporary South Asian Art here March 19.
Considered to be India`s foremost abstract painter, Gaitonde`s "Painting No.3" captures a pivotal moment in the artist`s career when he turned away from his earlier geometric prints and began to experiment with a paint roller and palette knife.
The sale also features Goa-born artist F.N. Souza`s "Untitled" painting that is estimated to fetch between $150,000 to $200,000, and noted Baroda master Bhupen Khakhar`s "Buffalo Among the Flowers" that reflects verdant imagery of the Rajasthani miniatures and Nathdwara temple paintings. It too is estimated between $150,000 to $200,000, a statement said Friday.
Two seminal works of prominent Kashmiri painter Gulam Rasool Santosh are also on this sale. The "Reminiscence of African Sculpture" is one of the artist`s earliest and largest abstract works to arrive in the market. It was created when the artist returned to Kashmir in 1956.
Besides, the sale also features five works from the Indian contemporary artists like Jitish Kallat, Subodh Gupta, Jagannath Panda, Ravinder Reddy and Sudarshan Shetty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Deepika Padukone reacts to comparisons with Priyanka Chopra
- Hrithik Roshan’s ‘Kaabil’: Bollywood hails film with ‘captivating storyline’
- Raees: Sunny Leone travels to Delhi by train, gets amazed by Shah Rukh Khan's stardom
- Jackie Chan opens up about his Bollywood plans
- Shahid Kapoor shares new still from ‘Rangoon’ and it is incredibly intense!
- Jallikattu issue: No law is infallible, says Kamal Haasan
- Four detectives in Bengali fiction who are every kid’s hero
- Sudarsan Pattnaik’s students pay tribute to Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose – See PIC
- Zee Jaipur Literature Festival: Donald Trump is like a car salesman, says Man Booker Prize winner Paul Beatty
- Book lovers go gaga as cine-star Rishi Kapoor takes centrestage at Zee Jaipur Literature Festival