Gaitonde`s work to go under Sotheby`s hammer in March
New Delhi: International auction house Sotheby`s Wednesday announced the acquisition of a rare work of Vasudeo S. Gaitonde that would lead its Modern and Contemporary South Asian Art sale in New York March 19.
Gaitonde`s painting No. 3, (estimated to be in excess of $2 million), is a major work by the artist coming from an important American collection, the auction house said in a statement.
"Included in one of his earliest New York exhibitions in the 1960s, this work captures a pivotal moment in the artist`s career when he turned away from his earlier geometric works and began to experiment with using a paint roller and palette knife," said Sotheby`s.
"Gaitonde is hugely celebrated internationally. He will be the subject of a major retrospective at the Guggenheim Museum in New York, making him one of the first modern Indian artists to be honoured with a retrospective in the United States," it added.
According to Sotheby`s vice president (head of sales, modern and contemporary South Asian Art) Priyanka Mathew, the sale of painting No. 3 follows the top price achieved by the artist`s painting No. 1 at Sotheby`s London and was sold for $ 1.1 million June 11 last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Priyanka Chopra wishes to grow up like her grandmother
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan gets miffed with paparazzi for hurting daughter Aaradhya – Watch video
- Sweet! Is this how Ranbir Kapoor trying to win Katrina Kaif back?
- Maharashtra Governor applauds Juhi Chawla, Shabana Azmi's 'Chalk N Duster'
- Shah Rukh Khan fined Rs 1.93 lakh for illegal ramp outside 'Mannat'