Goa`s `Tiatr` set to become high-ticket entertainment
Panaji: Goa`s oldest form of theatre, Tiatr is all set to become an expensive affair with production houses deciding to increase the ticket prices for this folk drama owing to rising inflation.
Jacob Fernandes, President, Tiatr Academy of Goa (TAG), said the ticket hike was inevitable for producers, as hosting a tiatre show was becoming financially unviable.
The ticket prices will be hiked to Rs 100 from the current Rs 75, said Jacob, who is known by his street name? Prince Jacob.
Although the rise seems to be marginal, the financial implications are high as several hundred Tiatr shows are held every year, with more than 500 people watching it every time.
"Konkani Tiatr is the cheapest form of entertainment in terms of its ticket fee as compared to theatre in any other language including Marathi and English," he said.
This performing art form has a century old history and is popular till date in the era of television.
Jacob said that 60 new tiatres are produced every year, many of which become overnight superhits due to the strong social messages carried by them.
Tiatres which were usually exhibited by constructing pandals in villages are now performed in air-conditioned theatres like Kala Academy in Panaji and Ravindra Bhavan and Gomant Vidya Niketan in Margao, 35 kilometres away from here.
"Rising prices, high cost of living and frequent hike in petrol and diesel prices have finally affected the Konkani Tiatr sector too. For a considerably long time the Tiatrist had assimilated the inflationary trends without passing the buck to the consumers," said Jacob, who is an iconic name on the stage.
But, time has now come that they can take it no more. This was primarily the reason why a group of popular Tiatr writers and directors met recently to take stock of the situation and to assess closely as to how the constant inflation is affecting their trade, he added.
"After debating the issue threadbare and analysing the financial implications in staging a Tiatr in auditoriums etc, they have come to a unanimous decision, though reluctantly, to hike the entrance ticket fees," Jacob announced.
The hike, which will come into effect after Easter, he said, has been done after five years although prices were moving upwards for all these years.
TAG President said that there are around 500 families directly connected with the Tiatr stage, while there are several ancillary industries like sound system, stage and others, who also rely on this traditional form of theatre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aishwarya stuns in Elie Saab gown for amfAR Gala
- ABBA star Bjorn Ulvaeus wants euthanasia if becomes too painfully ill
- Kim K advises Kylie Jenner to 'draw line' post temporary lip fillers confession
- 'Sooryavansham' has personal connect with many: Amitabh Bachchan
- How Elton John's 'dodgy' videos once embarrassed Ed Sheeran at US customs
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' movie review: Kangana's swag is par-excellence!
- Amitabh Bachchan, Hirani praise 'Miss Tanakpur...' trailer
- Puri Jagannath to work with Nithiin before Chiranjeevi
- Jyotika's comeback film rakes in over Rs.8 crore
- Simon Cowell feels Cheryl Fernandez and Louis Walsh argue like Tom and Jerry
- Did Depp abruptly abandon 'Pirates 5' Australia set to resurrect 'troubled' marriage?
- Aishwarya stuns in Elie Saab gown for amfAR Gala
- Anushka Sharma, Priyanka Chopra share girly love on Twitter!
- I acted inexcusably: Josh Duggar on molestation allegation
- Dubsmash: Salman Khan’s tribute to Shatrughan Sinha
- Shah Rukh Khan undergoes knee surgery, thanks fans for support
- My next prank on Brad Pitt might get me arrested: George Clooney
- Having children not my priority currently: George Clooney
- Dwayne Johnson leaves honoured with handprint ceremony
- Hrithik Roshan's late reaction on 'the dress' makes him troll on Twitter!
- Who is Salman Khan ka 'hero'?
- Being a father helped for role: Arnold Schwarzenegger
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'