Hema Malini promotes young classical dancers at Mumbai event
Mumbai: Young exponents of Indian classical dance were given a platform by Bollywood actress Hema Malini to showcase their talent at ‘Jaya Smriti’, a dance festival that is held in memory of her mother in Mumbai.
Malini said: “Jaya Smriti is in memory of my mother. I have been organizing this programme every year for the past six years, to promote young talent, because my mother always supported young classical dancers and singers.”
Enthusiasts watched as young dancers took to the stage, gracefully giving life to their art. Malini, however, bemoaned the fact that while there were many young people who took to classical dance, there was a lack of audiences eager to see new names, whereas people turned in large numbers when Malini herself performed.
“I keep performing. It is nothing new for me. ‘Jaya Smriti’ is meant only for the youngsters. I want to promote young people. But, the problem is that I am not getting (enough) audience, because they (the dancers) are new. Tomorrow they are all going to be great dancers and are going to make a big name.
People will be craving to get a ticket, but they will not.
Each and every one I am selecting and bringing onstage, they are all very talented artistes,” she said.
Malini herself took to the stage, performing a Bharatnatyam routine with a troupe of younger dancers.
Her daughters Esha and Ahana are also trained Bharatnatyam dancers, and often accompany their mother in her performances.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kamal Haasan slams PETA over jallikattu, asks it to ban 'bull riding rodeos' in Trump's US
- Bollywood celebs saddened by Hirakhand Express tragedy
- Priyanka Chopra shows support for anti-Trump Women's March
- Box Office report: Aamir Khan's 'Dangal' picks up pace on weekend again
- I have learned to make peace with failure: Hrithik Roshan
- Zee Jaipur Literature Festival: Donald Trump is like a car salesman, says Man Booker Prize winner Paul Beatty
- Book lovers go gaga as cine-star Rishi Kapoor takes centrestage at Zee Jaipur Literature Festival
- Jallikattu ban: AR Rahman fasts to support the spirit of Tamil Nadu!
- Zee Jaipur Literature Festival 2017: ‘The Sellout' took an emotional toll on me, says Paul Beatty
- Zee Jaipur Literature Festival 2017: We are living in best time of human history, says Sadhguru