How ‘Lion King’ musical became a huge success
Washington: When producer Thomas Schumacher heard that ‘The Lion King’ was going to be made into a Broadway show, he thought it was the “worst idea” he had ever heard.
15 years on, the show has earned more than 5 billion dollars, more money than any musical in history.
In fact, ‘The Lion King’ has been more profitable than all six ‘Star Wars’ films combined.
At first, almost no one thought it would work.
“I, quite famously, said, ‘That’s the worst idea I’ve ever heard’,” ABC News quoted Schumacher as saying.
“The movie is fundamentally cinematic, and there’s nothing theatrical about it,” he said.
Schumacher is now the head of Disney Theatrical Productions, a division of ABC News’ parent company, and invited ‘Nightline’ to pull back the curtain and discover the secrets behind the show’s phenomenal success.
During the backstage tour, Schumacher reminisced about early arguments with his boss, then-CEO Michael Eisner, over taking the animated film to Broadway.
“I said, ‘You’ve got to be crazy,’ and he said, ‘Just get a great idea, just get a great idea,’ and I got a great idea: Julie Taymor,” he said.
At the time, Taymor was a little-known theater savant. She had directed edgy, pioneering productions and operas, but never mainstream Broadway. She became the show’s director.
“Everyone told her she was crazy to work with Disney,” Schumacher said.
“Everyone told us we were crazy to work with someone like Julie. The Broadway community just assumed this was going to be a massive disaster,” he said.
But Eisner said the bigger the risk, the bigger the reward. They would go on to reinvent the 1994 Disney animated feature for the stage.
Taymor used every trick in the book, from 17th century stagecraft to African costume design and Asian puppetry. The result was a groundbreaking fusion of high art and lowbrow good fun.
In 1998, she became the first women to ever win a Tony for Best Director. ‘Lion King’ took home five more that night.
Taymor went on to direct films like ‘Frieda’ and other plays, but perhaps her most famous -- or infamous -- project is the equally ambitious, wildly expensive musical, ‘Spiderman: Turn Off the Dark,’ an almost nine-year undertaking.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'San Andreas' built to entertain, not traumatise: Director
- Azealia Banks to star in 'Coco'
- Look cool in denim during summer
- 'Amy' to premiere at Edinburgh Film Festival
- Piers Morgan returns to 'America's Got Talent' as guest
- Would love to work with Irrfan again: 'The Lunchbox' director
- Short films are stepping stone for any filmmaker: Vikas Bahl
- Kanye West almost killed while hiking
- No point in fighting ageing, says George Clooney
- Alia Bhatt turns vegetarian!
- 'San Andreas' to release in Hindi and English on May 29
- My ambition is to be honourable family man: Ranveer Singh
- Ranbir Kapoor is a fantastic actor: Aamir Khan
- Shahid Kapoor sleepless over marriage?
- Kriti finds Sonam, Deepika, Priyanka stylish
- I'm absolutely fine: Adah Sharma on accident rumour
- Sameera Reddy blessed with baby boy!
- Daddy Akshay Kumar goes mango plucking for daughter
- Happy Birthday AbRam Khan!
- Watch: Ranveer Singh in 'Hunger Ki Bajao' video!
- See pics: Riteish, Genelia with their little bundle of joy 'Riaan'!
- See: Three generations of Bachchan 'parivar' in one frame!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow