India does not have the culture of archiving: `Celluloid Man`
New Delhi: The much-lauded documentary `Celluloid Man` may be getting standing ovations in the film festivals around the world but its hero P K Nair is unhappy with the "lack of archiving culture" in India, especially in the field of cinema.
Nair, 80, who is being celebrated in Shivendra Singh Dungarpur directed documentary, is the founder and former director of National Film Archives of India (NFAI) in Pune.
He retired from NFAI in 1991 and by then he had created a massive treasure of films and documentaries in black and white and in colour.
"We don`t have the culture of archiving unlike the West. But, it is important to save our cinematic heritage because they also carry signatures of our history and must form a part of our collective effort to save them for posterity. And, that`s why I`ve done what I have done," Nair told reporters.
"We have a great past but a poor history unlike the West which has a not so great past compared to India but a very rich history, thanks to the culture of preservation and restoration, which we lack in our country," adds Nair.
‘Celluloid Man’, which was screened recently at a film festival in Jawaharlal Nehru University, documents Nair`s untiring effort to build an enviable cinema archive in India.
By 1991, NFAI had 12,000 films in collection, out of which 9000 were in Indian languages, majority being black and white. Even in Indian category there were films made by foreign studios in India or by Europeans living in India.
The Trivandrum-born archivist, who collected Hollywood-themed cards from weighing machines apart from the thousands of films that he saved, rescued, restored in a formal archive, gets emotional while talking about celluloid films which are facing digital onslaught.
"Despite the new digital age I still believe that the true beauty of cinema lies in celluloid. It is important to preserve what our predecessors have created even though we have to move on with new times and technologies," says Nair.
"We also had some finest documentaries produced by Burmah Shell company on various parts of India, but I don`t know what is the current status now."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Paul McCartney buys $15.5 million penthouse
- Dyeing hair helped Eva Green
- Michael Caine 'never tempted to stray' from wife
- I don't jump out of a trunk naked in 'The Duff': Ken Jeong
- 'Indian Idol Junior' sets ball rolling with Bollywood music
- Boman Irani, Sonu Sood to share relationship secrets on Farah Khan's show
- Ahsaan Qureshi in talks for 'Tu Mera Hero'?
- Azharuddin trains Emraan for biopic 'Azhar'
- Still in discussion: Ekta Kapoor on female lead of 'Azhar'
- 'PK', joint productions create Bollywood buzz in China
- Musical fund-raising event for Nepal quake victims
- Musical fund-raising event for Nepal quake victims
- Taylor Swift's 'Bad Blood' breaks Vevo record with 20.1m views in 1day
- Paul McCartney pens new songs for film adaptation of his book
- Taylor Swift's 'Bad Blood' breaks Vevo record
- 'Love birds' Taylor Swift, Calvin Harris plan to write song together
- Zayn Malik's fiancee feels 'naked' sans ring
- How 'Zaroori tha' became vital for 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'?
- Taylor Swift, Calvin Harris plan to write song together
- Sawyer Fredericks wins 'The Voice' season 8
- Jazz musician Bob Belden dies
- Florence + the Machine's rousing new song 'Delilah' released
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA