Indian sand artist wins prize in Denmark
Bhubaneswar: A sand sculpture on marine conservation created by Indian sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik has won the prestigious audience prize at an international sand art competition held in Copenhagen, the artist said Wednesday.
Pattnaik`s 20-feet high sculpture `Save the Ocean` got as many as 23,000 votes from a total of 80,000 cast by visitors at the Copenhagen International sand sculpture championship and festival, which began May 31 in Denmark.
Nine other artists from different parts of the world, including Canada, Russia, Bulgaria, Ireland, England, Germany, Ukraine and Ghana, had also participated in the competition, Pattnaik told reporters.
"For this sculpture I had won the 1st prize May 31. The result of the `Politiken Plus Audience Prize` was announced Tuesday after the voting ended," he said.
The sculpture will be on display at the festival till Sep 9, Pattnaik said.
"Inge Faerch, the director of the festival informed me today (Wednesday) on e-mail the result of the audience prize and congratulated me," he added.
Pattnaik has been doing sand art for more than 20 years at the beach of his home town Puri, 57 km from here.
He has participated in more than 50 international sand art competitions across the globe and won many accolades.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Two legends, one pic! Amitabh Bachchan shares memorable moment with with father Harivansh Rai Bachchan
- Karan Johar is keen to watch THIS Bollywood release! Any guesses?
- Fact alert! Anushka Sharma performed her own stunts in Salman Khan's 'Sultan'
- Maanayata, hubby Sanjay Dutt's adorable dance is the most romantic thing you will watch today!
- Dino Morea, Ranbir Kapoor flaunt football skills! - See pics
- Modern Indian masters, rare art works at Christie's sale
- ‘Just married’ Bipasha Basu’s response to Raj Kundra’s ‘family planning’ question is epic!
- Katrina Kaif in swimsuit - Check out this pic
- Who is miffed with Vidya Balan for supporting Kangana Ranaut?
- Mother’s Day: Sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik pays beautiful tribute to Mothers