Kolkata to host international kite festival Jan 5
Kolkata: Hundreds of giant fancy kites of myriad shapes and sizes, crafted by Indian and international kite-flyers will dot the city skyline Jan 5 at the Vokatta International Kite Festival 2014.
"Woh katta" refers to downing a rival`s kite.
Shapes ranging from giant wheels with spikes to psychedelic patterns, and cartoon figures will be seen in the sky Jan 5 morning at the sprawling 480-acres Eco Park here.
After sunset, special kites that can be flown in darkness will carry on the day-long aerial display.
Headlined by Barbara Meyer, the president of the American Kite Association, the event will bring renowned flyers from Belgium, Italy, the Netherlands, Britain, France, Indonesia, and enthusiasts from across India.
The 2014 edition is the second such.
"As many as 50 well-known kite flyers will join the locals this year. Last year we started off at the national level whereas this year it is international...a first for eastern India," founder of the festival Santosh Kumar Jaiswal told IANS.
With each participant bringing their special kites to the city, Jaiswal said the emphasis this year would be on fancy kites.
"They would be judged on the best aerial fancy kite display," he said.
The kites to look out for include the 10m by 5m Inflatable Delta by Johan Van Eeckhout from Belgium, the 30m circular rotating kites by Edo Borghetti from Italy as well as the spectacular designs by British avionics engineer Bob Cruikshanks.
Hot air balloon rides have been arranged for children below 14 years at the festival.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Madhur Bhandarkar takes expert advice from Subramanian Swamy for film on emergency? View pics
- In Pics: Remember 'Hip Hip Hurray'? This is what its star-cast looks like now!
- Trailer out! Salman Khan, Anushka Sharma's 'Sultan' will leave you with goosebumps – Watch now
- 'Comedy Nights' needed a 'Bachao' from Akshay Kumar over racist jokes on Lisa Haydon? Details inside
- Being a mom tops my priority list, says Aishwarya Rai Bachchan
- ‘Just married’ Bipasha Basu’s response to Raj Kundra’s ‘family planning’ question is epic!
- Katrina Kaif in swimsuit - Check out this pic
- Who is miffed with Vidya Balan for supporting Kangana Ranaut?
- Mother’s Day: Sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik pays beautiful tribute to Mothers
- World Heritage Day: Chola architecture photo exhibition begins at Darasuram temple