London`s theatres in `golden period`: Study
London: London`s theatre scene is experiencing a "golden period," better attended than Premier League football and taking more at the box office than cinema in the capital, a report said Thursday.
"We believe this makes London the biggest theatre city in the world," said a report by the Society of London Theatre and the National Theatre.
More than 22 million people attended theatre performances in the city during the 2012-2013 season, an increase of 5.5 percent from a year earlier, the survey found.
That beats the nearly 14 million who attended Premier League matches last year.
London theatres also took £618.5 million ($1.05 billion, 780 million euro) at the box office in 2012-2013, more than the capital`s cinemas.
"London theatre is widely held to be enjoying a golden period. Both artistically and at the box office, it is booming," said the report.
The West End, known for its popular musicals and plays, reported its tenth consecutive year of record box office takings.
Its blockbuster musicals include the Lion King, Les Miserables, Billy Elliot and War Horse.
Based on the available figures, West End theatre attendances outstrip New York`s Broadway by 20 percent, the report said.
Both admissions and box office takings were up compared to the previous year, though the average ticket price decreased to £27.76.
The report noted the industry was subsidised both by the government and by people working for little or no pay.
The report found London has 110,000 theatre seats spread among 241 professional theatre spaces, over half of them not-for-profit.
It said the city could be the biggest theatrical employer in the world, engaging an estimated 3,141 performers at any one time.
Almost a quarter of holiday visitors to London go to the theatre, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth leaves Shah Rukh, Salman and Aamir behind
- Shraddha Kapoor reveals her wardrobe essentials
- Bigg Boss season 10: Wild card entry Jason Shah exits Salman Khan’s show?
- Superstar Rajinikanth requests fans not to celebrate his birthday
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!
- Dia Mirza joins 'Save the Children' as Artist Ambassador!
- Jayalalithaa death: Sudarsan Pattnaik pays sand art tribute to the iconic leader
- Maharashtra government mulling to start Mangeshkar 'school of music'
- New York museum to exhibit largest collective chant of 'Om'
- Author Ruskin Bond gets Lifetime Achievement Award, bats for climate change