Lord Mountbatten`s James Bond-style pen gun now on auction
London: A James Bond-style gold-plated pen concealing a secret pistol that was gifted to India`s last viceroy Lord Mountbatten by the then maharaja of Jodhpur is now being put up for auction.
The pen was given to Mountbatten in case he ever got into trouble, the Daily Mail reported.
It remained with his family until recently when it was bought by a collector.
The handmade pen is due to be auctioned in March and is estimated to fetch between 5,000 and 7,000 pounds.
"The maharaja of Jodhpur built it for his friend in case he got himself in a position where he had to sign something which he did not wish to sign - either to kill himself or the enemy," said Nicholas Holt of Holt`s Auctioneers which is selling the pen.
Holt said the pen pistol would have been specially built for Mountbatten in 1948 and features a smooth-bore barrel containing a removable propelling pencil mechanism with a concealed trigger.
The outer body is inscribed with the words "Gun Shop Jodphur, 1948".
Lord Mountbatten was the last Viceroy of India, and a British naval officer. He was an uncle of Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sidhu to bring Kapil Sharma and Sunil Grover TOGETHER! Here's what you should know
- Noted Yakshagana artiste Gerukatte Gangaiah Shetty collapses on stage, dies
- Former Miss India Priyadarshini Chatterjee fights for child abuse victim
- Salman Khan feels grounded, all thanks to family and friends!
- Anushka Sharma has found her long-term goal!
- Attention young mothers! Here are a few tips for you
- World Water Day: Five simple things you can do everyday to SAVE water
- Namami Brahmaputra theme song sung by Amitabh Bachchan, Papon unveiled
- World Water Day 2017: Sudarsan Pattnaik’s sand art will inspire you to save water
- Odissi dancers dance to Ed Sheeran’s ‘Shape of You’, prove ‘dance and music have no language barriers’