Manmohan Singh launches portal on Mahatma Gandhi
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Monday launched a portal aimed at making Mahatma Gandhi "accessible all over the world".
Manmohan Singh said he was confident that the `Gandhi Heritage Portal` would be an invaluable resource for generations to come, especially for the youth.
The portal is a technology-driven initiative aimed at making Mahatma Gandhi accessible all over the world on an electronic platform.
"We are keen that a world-class national memorial should soon come up at Dandi (Gujarat), which will inspire the younger generation," the Prime Minister`s Office quoted him as saying on Twitter.
The portal, which will house the intellectual heritage of Gandhi, has been developed at the Gandhi Ashram in Sabarmati in Gujarat, where its office is also located.
The culture ministry had sanctioned Rs.8 crore as a corpus fund to the Sabarmati Ashram Preservation and Memorial Trust (SAPMT), Ahmedabad, to create the portal. The trust would earn about Rs.75 lakh as annual interest to run and maintain the portal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ‘Baahubali’ Prabhas to get married in December!
- It’s been 21 years since Madhuri Dixit asked Salman Khan ‘Hum Aapke Hain Koun..!’
- Spain`s Picasso `national treasure` seized by French customs
- Birthday special: From ‘Bekhudi’ to ‘Dilwale’- Kajol’s journey
- Bollywood star kids en route to super stardom (Part 1)