Modi inaugurates International Kite Festival in Guj
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi today inaugurated the three-day International Kite Festival (IKF) 2014 at the Sabarmati riverfront here.
The BJP`s Prime Ministerial nominee said that the kite festival signifies love for nature, environment and tourism and a special energy is derived from such festivities.
Modi stressed on the importance of tourism and the need for India to keep pace with the developments across the world in strengthening tourism.
Highlighting that the kite market in 2001-02 was Rs 30-35 crore, Modi said it has today crossed Rs 500 crore and become a source of livelihood for the poorest of the poor.
He stressed on the need to integrate the local people with the tourism industry to enjoy better results.
School children, studying in municipal school in the city, performed `surya namaskar` while differently abled students exhibited a cultural performance.
Modi expressed satisfaction at the participation of municipal school children in performing `surya namaskar` and said it shows wonders the little children can do if they are given the opportunity.
Kite flyers from various countries and across India have thronged the riverfront to celebrate the festival.
Modi described Swami Vivekanand, whose birth anniversary is being celebrated today, as a source of immense inspiration and a revered figure who taught national unity through the medium of spirituality. He urged people to get inspired by Vivekanand`s message of serving the poor.
Tourism Minister Saurabh Patel said that while India`s tourism growth was seven per cent, Gujarat`s tourism growth was at 14 per cent.
Modi also greeted people of the country for Makar Sankranti and Uttarayan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Himesh Reshammiya, Iulia Vantur join forces for 'Every Night And Day' from 'Aap Se Mausiiquii'
- Karan Johar opens up about his love life!
- Sonam Kapoor looks ravishing in Shantanu & Nikhil design!
- Non-bailable warrant against 'Bigg Boss 10' contestant Om Swami cancelled!
- Birthday special: Seven times Jimmy Shergill’s on-screen characters defined life!
- Maharashtra government mulling to start Mangeshkar 'school of music'
- New York museum to exhibit largest collective chant of 'Om'
- Author Ruskin Bond gets Lifetime Achievement Award, bats for climate change
- Goa International Jazz Live Festival to begin today
- B-Town celebs roped in by Hard Rock Cafe to empower underprivileged children