Museum vandalised ahead of Nabokov`s `Lolita` show
St. Petersburg: Vandals spray-painted the word "paedophiles" on the wall of a modern art museum in St. Petersburg ahead of a performance based on ‘Lolita’, Vladimir Nabokov`s most famous book.
Anastasia Blokhina, press secretary of the Erarta museum, said the graffiti made with black paint was later erased from the wall.
Nabokov, who lived in St. Petersburg until 1917, is best known for `Lolita`, the story of a teacher who becomes sexually involved with a 12-year-old girl.
The Nabokov museum on Bolshaya Morskaya street in St. Petersburg has already been vandalised twice this year by protesters.
Vandals broke a window at the museum Jan 9, throwing in a bottle containing a threatening message.
Workers at the museum said they had been threatened, with several letters accusing Nabokov of propagating paedophilia and threatening "God`s wrath", the Fontanka.ru website reported.
Three weeks later, vandals calling themselves "St. Petersburg Cossacks" spray-painted the word "paedophile" on its wall.
A one-man show in St. Petersburg based on `Lolita` was cancelled by its author in October 2012, after he received threatening letters from anonymous `Cossacks`. The organizer of the performance, which went ahead in December and January at the Erarta museum, was beaten by three unidentified attackers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rob Kardashian checks into rehab
- Check out: How cute AbRam looks in Shah Rukh's shoes
- My character adds suspense to 'ABCD 2': Raghav Juyal
- Remo is a better director than choreographer: Prabhudheva
- Getting perfect pitch possible for some adult musicians
- Michael Jackson's former home for sale
- Lindsay Lohan's probation finally ends
- TV news may lead to racial bias
- Kylie Jenner planning to leave reality TV
- How to look good without eye makeup
- 'American Idol' was worst experience for Mariah Carey
- Of travel, history and a good measure of science
- No foul play in death of Chilean poet Neruda, researchers say
- Emoji, meme, photobomb, twerk among new Merriam-Webster words
- Scrapbook provides rare insight to India's cinema history
- Flights of imagination: An aeronautical engineer as a famous novelist
- Comic book king Stan Lee to come out with graphic memoir
- Julianna Margulies to author children's picture book
- Unfinished memoirs of Orson Welles found
- Pamela Anderson to launch her photo book
- We are committed to fulfilling Dinkar ji's dreams: PM Modi
- Barbra Streisand's memoir to arrive in 2017
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in