National School of Drama promotes theatre in Sikkim
Gangtok: The Sikkim Centre of the National School of Drama is promoting theatre in the region. Recently, budding actors performed a non-verbal play on Sikkimese culture and traditions.
The title of the play was ‘Kalo Sunakhiri’ and it was an adaptation of the novel “Sonam” written by Yeshe Dorjee Thongchi.
Based on the love story of two Sikkimese youth, it was directed by Abhilash Pillai and scripted by Hasta Chettri.
The artists, who expressed themselves only through action, did a wonderful job.
Sikkim has good scope for theatre
“This is the first functioning state centre of NSD in the country that teaches as well as organizes performances. The audience here received the play very well and gave strong positive feedback for the performances. This confirms that there is huge scope for theatre here,” said Abhilash Pillai, the play’s director.
The theatre group, trained by the National School of Drama, New Delhi, is working hard to promote the art among the youth in Sikkim.
“The actors who are working here come from all the four districts of the state. We aim to promote the art and culture of the state, and spread awareness in Sikkim,” said Bipin Kumar, Director, National School of Drama, Sikkim Centre.
“The play ‘Kalo Sunakhiri’ that I just saw is a fusion of of modern and classical techniques. It shows the level which contemporary theatre has reached. The play was a wonderful experience for me, “ said Shayam Pradhan.
The National School of Drama has been working with different state governments of the Northeast to promote theatre among the youth. It recently started a centre in Tripura and has been regularly organizing workshops and training sessions in different states to attract the youth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bollywood chants 'Mumbai Mumbai' as Mumbai Indians lift IPL crown
- Check out: Striking and suave Irrfan Khan in 'Jazbaa'
- Simon Cowell shares cute pic with son on Twitter
- Milla Jovovich has daughter baptized
- Legendary actor Omar Sharif suffering from Alzheimer's disease
- I've no regrets over sexist lyrics: Snoop Dogg
- Gary Barlow sings at fan's wedding
- Lena Headey reveals second baby gender
- Blake Lively calls Ryan Reynolds 'hypocrite'
- Josh Duggar cancels Ohio appearance amid child molestation scandal
- Kanye West is a bit eccentric: Paul Mccartney
- Rebel Wilson sparks Mickey Gooch Jr dating rumors
- Emma Stone, Andrew Garfield hold hands post split
- Bradley Cooper, Irina Shayk getting serious?
- I was on my knees for 28 minutes to propose Amal: Clooney
- I fell for my boyfriend Justin Long on Instagram: Seyfried
- I want my husband to see me strong: Celine Dion
- Bieber goes hiking with model Jayde Pierce
- Irina Shayk dumped Cristiano Ronaldo for cheating on her
- Geri Halliwell marries F1 boss Christian Horner
- Ian and Nikki's wedding was beautiful: Nina Dobrev
- David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson share kiss at music gig
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25