Neetu Chandra to make theatre foray with `Umrao Jaan`
Mumbai: Actress Neetu Chandra will be making her foray into theatre by essaying the iconic character Umrao Jaan.
The model-turned-actress, who debuted in Bollywood with `Garam Masala` in 2005, will be acting in the play titled `Umrao Jaan`.
Veteran actress Rekha had immortalised the character in the 1981 film, and Aishwarya Rai also enacted it in the 2006 remake directed by JP Dutta.
Neetu said she was inspired by Rekha and looked upon her for the role.
"I was very happy when I got this offer to play Umrao Jaan...I just grabbed it. My role is different from what Rekhaji and Aishwarya had played in their respective films as film and theatre are different mediums though the basic premise remains same," she told reporters.
Neetu said she would be doing a mujra in the Hidayat Sami durected play, slated to release at Prithvi theatre here on November 7.
The music for the play is composed by Rekha Bharadwaj.
"She (Umrao Jaan) was a singer, poet and revolutionist," the actress said.
Neetu is brushing up her Kathak skills and Urdu diction to get into the character.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sidharth Malhotra felt wonderful doing the US tour! READ
- I still feel I have a lot more to do and achieve says, Jacqueline Fernandez
- Expectations soaring high! Beyonce gearing up to perform at 2016 MTV Video Music Awards?
- Salman Khan's 'Being SalMan: The Official Game' is out for you to 'Khelo'
- Arbaaz Khan feels he is more suited for second lead!
- Christie's exhibition to highlight works of Raza, Gaitonde
- UN to issue stamp to mark Bharat Ratna MS Subbulakshmi's birth centenary
- S H Raza was a secularist in the true sense: Fraternity
- Legendary artist S H Raza passes away
- Revealed! Vincent Van Gogh cut off his ear and gave it to Gabrielle Berlatier