Nude album pics of John Lennon and Yoko Ono to go under the hammer
London: Two rare vintage photographs of John Lennon and Yoko Ono posing naked have emerged for sale after they were discovered in a loft.
The images were used on the couple’s 1968 album ‘Unfinished Music No 1: Two Virgins’, and were taken by them on a self-timer.
The photos are wider than the one used on the ‘LP’ cover and show more clutter around the couple``s feet.
The pictures have been put up for sale by a private owner who found them in the loft at the home of his late mother. He was stunned by the discovery and has no idea how she acquired them.
The ‘LP’ showed the pair nude on the front and the reverse had them naked from behind.
Both original front and back images are going under the hammer at Duke’s auctioneers in Dorchester, Dorset, and they have been given a pre-sale estimate of 700 pounds.
It was a controversial album cover and many record shops refused to stock it. Where it was sold it was handed over in a brown paper bag.
The album was the result of an all-night session of musical experimentation in Lennon’s home studio.
The photographs were taken at Ringo Starr’s basement apartment at Montagu Square, London, where Lennon and Ono stayed later that year.
“No-one knows how the photographs emerged in Dorset,” the Daily Mail quoted Matthew Denney from Duke’s as saying.
“The vendor found them in his mother’s attic after she died and he has no idea how she came by them.
“These are wider shots than the ones produced on the album cover and Beatles experts we have spoken to are very interested in them.
“These are vintage photographs and there are already been quite a bit of interest in them,” Denney said.
During the uproar about the album cover, Lennon said that is was not to do with the nudity itself, but because the pair looked so unattractive.
Indeed, he later described it as a picture of ``two slightly overweight ex-junkies``.
The auction will be held this Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's how Parineeti Chopra-Varun Dhawan rehearsed for 'Janemann Aah' from 'Dishoom' ! Watch video
- Arjun Rampal's mother fights cancer, actors prays for her good health
- Blockbuster! 'Sultan' Salman Khan's action drama inching closer to Rs 300 crore
- Smart dressing tips for children during monsoon
- Adele plants kiss on fan's lips
- Legendary artist S H Raza passes away
- Revealed! Vincent Van Gogh cut off his ear and gave it to Gabrielle Berlatier
- Jane Fonda to auction off wedding dress, engagement ring
- Artist makes miniature chariots for deities on Rath Yatra
- Sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik makes 100 chariots; creates new world record- See pics