Paintings by Guatemalan master stolen from church
Guatemala City: Six religious paintings by Guatemala`s most important 18th century painter, Tomas Merlo, have been stolen from a church in the city of Antigua, culture ministry officials said Friday.
Two unidentified men overpowered the caretaker of El Calvario church in Antigua and tied him up Wednesday evening as he was closing for the day, officials said.
Joined by three accomplices, they cut from their frames six paintings that originally were part of a series of 11 dedicated by the artist to the Passion of Christ, they said.
Interpol was alerted to the theft, and UNESCO said it would try to help recover the paintings.
Merlo, 1694-1739, painted in a baroque style and is considered the best Guatemalan painter of the colonial era.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sushmita Sen to judge Miss Universe 2017 pageant, says 'life has come full circle'! Pic proof
- Donald Trump was obsessed with me: Kristen Stewart on his old tweet about her
- Priyanka Chopra thanks 'Quantico' team for People's Choice Award!
- The Crew movie review: Visually rich, entertaining
- Sunny Leone does a 'Laila' with Shah Rukh Khan and Salman Khan on 'Bigg Boss 10'! Pic proof
- Book lovers go gaga as cine-star Rishi Kapoor takes centrestage at Zee Jaipur Literature Festival
- Jallikattu ban: AR Rahman fasts to support the spirit of Tamil Nadu!
- Zee Jaipur Literature Festival 2017: ‘The Sellout' took an emotional toll on me, says Paul Beatty
- Zee Jaipur Literature Festival 2017: We are living in best time of human history, says Sadhguru
- 10th Jaipur Literature Festival kicks off in style; Gulzar, Anne Waldman deliver keynote address