Picasso vase sells for record $1.53 mn at auction
London: A vase by Pablo Picasso became the most expensive ceramic piece by the Spanish artist ever sold at auction, fetching 980,275 pounds ($1.53 million), Christie`s said Thursday.
The sale of the ‘Grand Vase aux Femmes Voiles’ for a price far above the pre-auction estimate of between 250,000 and 350,000 pounds ($386,000 and $541,000) was the big surprise of Wednesday`s auction.
Two sensual, semi-nude female figures are painted on the 64.1-centimeter (25.2-inch) glazed terracotta vase, which the auction house said was purchased by an anonymous bidder.
Bidding on works of Impressionist and modern art took place at one of Christie`s auction houses in London, where an oil painting by Picasso (1881-1973) titled "Tete de femme de profil" was sold for 505,875 pounds ($791,189).
Paintings by Chaim Soutine, Marc Chagall and Pierre-Auguste Renoir also sold at prices far above their pre-auction estimates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Seven times Karisma Kapoor gave us serious fashion goals
- Are stubborn acne marks troubling you? Check out these home remedies
- Box Office report: Here's how much 'Dear Zindagi', 'Kahaani 2' collected on Saturday!
- Kaabil: Hrithik Roshan flaunts new release date in Tamil, Telugu posters
- Rana Daggubati, Taapsee Pannu's 'The Ghazi Attack' to strike patriotic chord
- Maharashtra government mulling to start Mangeshkar 'school of music'
- New York museum to exhibit largest collective chant of 'Om'
- Author Ruskin Bond gets Lifetime Achievement Award, bats for climate change
- Goa International Jazz Live Festival to begin today
- B-Town celebs roped in by Hard Rock Cafe to empower underprivileged children