Rabindranath Tagore`s dance-drama performed by Shubra Mukherjee`s troupe
New Delhi: A soulful rendition of a dance- drama, penned by Rabindranath Tagore when he was just 16-years-old, by a troupe founded by President`s wife Shubhra Mukherjee left an indelible stamp on the audience.
The group of accomplished singers and dancers performed `Bhanusingher Padabali`, an intense work of Tagore in `braja bhasha` on the `eternal union` of Radha and Krishna published in 1884. Experts say the piece was inspired by writings of Sanskrit poet Jayadev and Maithali writer Vidyapati.
The 90-minute programme was attended by President Pranab Mukherjee, Shubhra Mukherjee, the Prime Minister`s wife Gursharan Kaur, legendary singer Asha Bhonsle and artiste Udit
Narayan, among others, at Rashtrapati Bhavan last night.
One of Tagore`s all-time great compositions `Aguner Poroshmoni` was also performed by the First Lady`s Geetanjali troupe, which has been run by her since 1978.
The rendition of Bhanushinger Padabali, written by Tagore under the pseudonym `Bhanusingha` (Sun lion), started with `Jaya jaya dev hare` as dancers matched their steps with the chorus by men and women singers.
Lilting compositions like `Gahana Kusamo Kunj Majhe` and `Sajani Sajani Radhika` drew loud applause. The President facilitated the singers, dancers and organisers including R K Sarkar for the programme.
Pic Courtesy: news.in.msn.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- These things must strictly be avoided during Pitru Paksha!
- All you men! Be the 'Wanderer', the 'Aviator', the 'Spunkster' with these hairstyles
- Watch: THIS video will make you believe that Shah Rukh Khan can fly! Well, almost
- Here's what Krushna Abhishek has to say about 'competition' with Kapil Sharma! – Details inside
- Slow salute: Akshay Kumar praises brave constable for saving woman's life – Watch video