Radcliffe dares to bare on NY Broadway
New York, April 09: British actor Daniel Radcliffe will make his Broadway debut in September in a reprise of his London role in "Equus," a performance where he shed not only the mantle of Harry Potter but also his clothes.
Radcliffe, 18, won rave reviews for his performance as a tortured teenager during an eight-week run of Peter Shaffer's grueling psychological thriller in London last year and will perform a 22-week run in New York City.
The production of "Equus" will be the play's first revival on Broadway since it debuted in 1974, playing until 1977 and winning the Tony Award for best play in 1975.
Radcliffe said in an interview in September the prospect of acting in New York was "terrifying."
"It will be amazing, but I will be terrified because I was talking to Richard Griffiths about playing New York and he said the most stupid thing you can do is underestimate New York audiences," he said.
"I would be very nervous because I think (the audiences are) even more discerning than in London," he said.
Griffiths, who appeared with Radcliffe in "Equus" in London and played the role of Uncle Vernon in the Harry Potter movies, won a Tony Award in New York in 2006 for his role in "The History Boys." He will also reprise his role in the New York production of "Equus."
"Equus" was first produced in London in 1973 to critical acclaim. It was adapted by Shaffer for a 1977 film starring Richard Burton and Peter Firth, which received three Oscar nominations in 1978.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vidya Balan's 'Begum Jaan': 'Prem Mein Tohre' by Asha Bhosle highlights Anu Malik's musical brilliance
- Akshay Kumar's 'Soch aur Shauch' video is an eye-opener - Must WATCH
- Varun Dhawan – Alia Bhatt’s ‘Badrinath Ki Dulhania’ scores a century!
- Raveena Tandon’s ‘Maatr’: Impactful teaser out! WATCH
- Akshay Kumar’s boxing session with ‘little goons’ is the cutest thing you will WATCH today
- Attention young mothers! Here are a few tips for you
- World Water Day: Five simple things you can do everyday to SAVE water
- Namami Brahmaputra theme song sung by Amitabh Bachchan, Papon unveiled
- World Water Day 2017: Sudarsan Pattnaik’s sand art will inspire you to save water
- Odissi dancers dance to Ed Sheeran’s ‘Shape of You’, prove ‘dance and music have no language barriers’