Sculptor Kapoor dedicates work to jailed Chinese artist
Paris: British sculptor Anish Kapoor today dedicated his new monumental art installation in Paris to the Chinese artist Ai Weiwei, who is in custody in Beijing accused of unspecified crimes.
"I wish to dedicate my new work, Leviathan at the Grand Palais, Paris, to my colleague Ai Weiwei. His arrest, disappearance and alleged torture are unacceptable," the Indian-born Kapoor said in a statement sent to AFP.
"When governments silence artists it bears witness to their barbarity."
Kapoor`s installation goes on display at Paris`s Grand Palais from May 11 to June 23.
The exhibition`s organisers describe it as a vast red sculpture which the visitor will be able to walk inside, as if into the belly of a monster.
Ai, 53, was taken into custody in Beijing on April 3 as he tried to board a flight to Hong Kong, and is under investigation for unspecified "economic crimes". His relatives say they do not know where he is.
Ai repeatedly challenged Chinese authorities, investigating school collapses in the 2008 quake in the southwestern province of Sichuan, and launching a "citizen`s probe" into a Shanghai fire that killed 58 people in November.
His detention -- part of a major government crackdown on dissent, which follows online calls for demonstrations in China to emulate the "Jasmine" protests that have rocked the Arab world -- has sparked an outcry in the West.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aryan Khan, Navya Naveli's 'Muck Up Day' picture is HERE!
- Sorry IPL, AbRam Khan stole thunder last night – Watch video
- Here’s what Kangana Ranaut’s father has to say about her legal battle with Hrithik Roshan
- Mahabharata’s Bhima was married to a rakshasi – Do you know who she is
- Sonakshi Sinha turns boho chic for Harper's Bazaar Bride—See cover!
- World Heritage Day: Chola architecture photo exhibition begins at Darasuram temple
- Daniel Radcliffe returns to the New York stage
- Harry Potter author's chair sells for USD 394,000 at auction
- Third edition of 'Connections' to be blend of European, Indian artists
- Kajol’s selfie with daughter Nysa – See Pic