Spirited Mahanavmi celebrations in West Bengal
Kolkata: People from all walks of life, including celebrities, relished community feasts at marquees and visited friends and relatives Sunday here on Mahanavami, the fourth day of Durga Puja.
Donning their best attires, people hit the streets despite occasional drizzle to savour every moment of the puja spirit.
Devotees thronged puja pandals in large numbers, and visited friends and relatives.
Former Indian cricket team captain Sourav Ganguly joined visited a few puja marquees.
"For me Durja Puja is the grandest festival and these few days are memorable and enjoyable for Bengalis all across the world," Ganguly said while visiting a puja venue in north Kolkata.
Two people were electrocuted in Burdwan district after a puja marquee collapsed following heavy rains and a storm.
The main puja for Mahanavami or the ninth lunar day began after the end of Sandhi Puja held at the confluence of Mahaashtami (eighth lunar day) and Mahanavami.
As per Hindu mythology, Goddess Durga killed demons Chando and Mundo at the confluence of Maha Ashtami and Mahanavami.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ranveer Singh's act in 'Bajirao Mastani' stirred me: Hrithik Roshan
- Diljit Dosanjh is Ekta Kapoor's 'Super Singh'
- Good head of hair a real confidence booster: Priyanka Chopra
- Javed Akhtar turns 72, wife Shabana Azmi praises his 'magical persona'
- Shah Rukh Khan, Nawazuddin to promote 'Raees' in Dubai
- Raj Kapoor loved his cinema, booze, leading ladies: Rishi Kapoor
- Makar Sankranti, Pongal, Bihu wishes throng Twitter; look who said what!
- Book on Swami Vivekananda launched on his 154th birth anniversary
- How to organise a Lohri party?
- Swami Vivekananda Jayanti: Sudarsan Pattnaik pays sand art tribute on National Youth Day