Spirited Mahanavmi celebrations in West Bengal
Kolkata: People from all walks of life, including celebrities, relished community feasts at marquees and visited friends and relatives Sunday here on Mahanavami, the fourth day of Durga Puja.
Donning their best attires, people hit the streets despite occasional drizzle to savour every moment of the puja spirit.
Devotees thronged puja pandals in large numbers, and visited friends and relatives.
Former Indian cricket team captain Sourav Ganguly joined visited a few puja marquees.
"For me Durja Puja is the grandest festival and these few days are memorable and enjoyable for Bengalis all across the world," Ganguly said while visiting a puja venue in north Kolkata.
Two people were electrocuted in Burdwan district after a puja marquee collapsed following heavy rains and a storm.
The main puja for Mahanavami or the ninth lunar day began after the end of Sandhi Puja held at the confluence of Mahaashtami (eighth lunar day) and Mahanavami.
As per Hindu mythology, Goddess Durga killed demons Chando and Mundo at the confluence of Maha Ashtami and Mahanavami.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bigg Boss, Day 47: Survival fight continues, inmates stumped by surprise exit!
- Tough times in India: Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra on intolerance row
- Response to 'Wazir' trailer makes Bejoy Nambiar 'ecstatic'
- Salman's 'Prem Ratan Dhan Payo' outraces lifetime earnings of '3 Idiots'
- Bigg Boss: Priya Malik to throw 'pee' on Kishwer in upcoming episode!