The oldest known Superman cover art sells for USD 286,800
Los Angeles: The oldest surviving original Superman cover art, dated August 1939, has fetched USD 286,800 at an auction.
The cover to Action Comics No 15 shows Superman rescuing a disabled submarine underwater.
The cover was drawn by Fred Guardineer, who illustrated many of DC`s earliest covers,reportedly.
The book is considered by many to be among the 100 most significant Golden Age comics.
The price, however, is not the highest ever for a original comic art, which belongs to the Todd McFarlane-drawn cover to Amazing Spider-Man No 328. The cover went under the hammer for for USD 675,250 in 2012.
Belgian artist Herge`s 1932 cover art Tintin in America earned a record 1.6 million in 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of 'Aligarh': Hansal Mehta looks back at film journey
- Ayesha Takia slams haters, says 'I love myself and you should love yourself too'
- Ranveer Singh working round the clock to meet deadlines
- Hrithik Roshan to launch his own workout regime
- Rani Mukerji to make comeback with women centric film 'Hichki'