Tipu Sultan`s ring auctioned in London
London: A ring belonging to 18th century ruler of Mysore Tipu Sultan has been auctioned in London amidst a controversy over the piece of jewellery, a media report said Friday.
The jewelled ring is inscribed with the name of Hindu deity Ram in raised Devanagri script and was sold for 145,000 euros (nearly $197,870) by Christie`s auction house, BBC reported.
According to the auction house, the ring weighing 41.2 gm was sold to an undisclosed bidder for almost 10 times more than its estimated price at an earlier auction in central London.
The ring was supposedly taken from Tipu Sultan`s body after his death during the Fourth Anglo-Mysore War (1798-1799). The battle was fought between the kingdom of Mysore and the British East India Company.
The controversy over the ring is about the name of the Hindu god on a ring worn by a Muslim emperor.
A group called the Tipu Sultan United Front had urged the Indian government to take steps to help prevent the sale of this ring as it is a piece of history.
The group also said that if the ring has been put up for auction, Indian philanthropists should have been encouraged to purchase it on behalf of the country.
The ring was previously listed for sale by Christie`s in 2012 but was then withdrawn from sale.
Tipu Sultan (Nov 20, 1750-May 4, 1799), also known as the Tiger of Mysore, was a scholar, soldier and poet.
He was the eldest son of Sultan Hyder Ali of Mysore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vidya Balan's 'Tumhari Sulu' will show her naughty side!
- Akshay Kumar's 'Padman' to show Radhika Apte in a nagging wife's role?
- I have over-sensitivity issues, besides family only Karan Johar can understand me: Shah Rukh Khan
- Shahid Kapoor's LATEST PIC will surely leave you gasping for air!
- Akshay Kumar’s ‘partner in crime’ Twinkle Khanna posts HILARIOUS video to celebrate 16 years of marriage – WATCH
- Makar Sankranti, Pongal, Bihu wishes throng Twitter; look who said what!
- Book on Swami Vivekananda launched on his 154th birth anniversary
- How to organise a Lohri party?
- Swami Vivekananda Jayanti: Sudarsan Pattnaik pays sand art tribute on National Youth Day
- Madame Tussauds museum gears up for DEBUT in India in June