Vila Isabel samba school wins Rio carnival honours
Rio de Janeiro: The Unidos de Vila Isabel samba school was named the winner of the Rio de Janeiro carnival for its attractive and colourful parade highlighting rural life and the customs of the Brazilian interior.
Vila Isabel, which was the last samba school to parade in Rio`s Sambadrome in the early hours of Tuesday, obtained 299.7 points out of a maximum score of 300.
It thus beat out the Beija-Flor samba school, which had received a rating of 299.4 for its own parade, by less than half a point.
Despite being the last school to parade, Vila Isabel revved up the crowd with the lyrics and music of its samba as well as with its magnificent floats and costumes making reference to the country`s rural residents, their eating habits, beliefs and popular festivals.
Unidos da Tijuca, last year`s champion samba school, was in third place this time around with 299.2 points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Akira' came at the right time of my career: Sonakshi Sinha
- Katrina Kaif upset with Ranbir Kapoor for talking about their relationship during an interview?
- Revealed! Release date of Shah Rukh Khan's next with Aanand L Rai
- These simple Vaastu tips will declutter your mind
- Research points out how aged wine gets its aroma
- Christie's exhibition to highlight works of Raza, Gaitonde
- UN to issue stamp to mark Bharat Ratna MS Subbulakshmi's birth centenary
- S H Raza was a secularist in the true sense: Fraternity
- Legendary artist S H Raza passes away
- Revealed! Vincent Van Gogh cut off his ear and gave it to Gabrielle Berlatier