Witch hunting, land acquisition form theme of plays
Guwahati: Issues ranging from witch hunting to forceful land acquisition and irregularities in compensation to terror victims form themes of some of plays at the fifth Brajanath Sarma Memorial Drama Festival here.
The seven-day festival, a brainchild of mathematician- dramatist Sitanath Lahkar, began yesterday.
Baharul Islam`s "Madhyawartinee", celebrating 150 years of Rabindranath Tagore`s birth anniversary and based on three poems of the Nobel Laureate, was the inaugural play of the festival.
Samahar Natya Goshti, the amateur group founded by Lahkar with an aim to carry meaningful theatre to the masses 27 years ago, has chosen to perform its latest production "Bagho Bandee" (The Tiger Captured) and "Tamashaa" (The Darkness).
"While `Bagho Bandee` is about the current state of affairs in Assam highlighting issues like politics, corruption and land acquisition, `Tamashaa` deals with witch hunting which is growing alarmingly in the state," says Lahkar, a professor of mathematics at the Cotton College here and writer and director of the two plays.
West Bengal`s Anwesha Sanskritik Mancha is the outstation group which will perform its `Gambhira Loka Natya`, a satirical form of theatre that talks about social issues but does not completely adhere to the script.
A unique play is Pabitra Rabha`s "Kino Kou?" (What to Say?) to be performed by dwarf actors from different parts of Assam.
Other plays to be staged are Mahendra Kakoti`s "Tejor Endhaar" (Darkness of Blood, a play on corruption related to compensation given to terror victims), Nitul Medhi`s "Rengoni" (Beam of Light, showing infightings between cadres of a rebel group) and children`s play "Biswash" (Faith).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Wishes galore! Look what Bollywood has to say on Karan Johar's 44th birthday
- Your financial strength could impact your romantic relationships – Read more
- Is ‘Junooniyat’, ‘Sanam Re 2’? Yami Gautam will tell you
- Donald Trump is a joke for America: Chloe Grace Moretz
- Hilarious! Salman Khan was in tears for a moment while filming ‘Sultan’ – Know why
- ‘Just married’ Bipasha Basu’s response to Raj Kundra’s ‘family planning’ question is epic!
- Katrina Kaif in swimsuit - Check out this pic
- Who is miffed with Vidya Balan for supporting Kangana Ranaut?
- Mother’s Day: Sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik pays beautiful tribute to Mothers
- World Heritage Day: Chola architecture photo exhibition begins at Darasuram temple