Saffronart to hold first live auction in capital
New Delhi: Banking on the strength of Delhi's art market and to celebrate its 100th auction, India's biggest online art auction house Saffronart will be holding its first live auction here Sep 4, organisers said Wednesday.
In the auction titled ‘The Modern Evening Sale’, works of modern masters like S.H. Raza, K.G. Subramanyam, M.F. Husain and Jehangir Sabavala, among others, would be on offer.
Saffronart is an online platform where bidding is done in virtual space, but they do host "live auctions" where people bid for the artworks.
In total, 90 lots will be on sale in this auction.
According to Dinesh Vazirani, co-founder of Saffronart, Delhi has always been a strong market.
"It was important to have physical presence in Delhi as many of our buyers wanted to participate in a live auction here," Vazirani said.
Vazirani also mentioned that today's buyers are discerning and not merely "spectators" of art.
Hence, Saffronart is acquiring fresh art works of all these modern artists to ensure their 100th sale at the national capital is nothing short of a success.
Earlier, Saffronart held two live auctions in Mumbai.
Ever since the online art auction firm was formed in 2000, Vazirani admitted, it has been a roller-coaster ride, but they have learnt from all good and bad phases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Dhanush paternity row: South superstar appears in court for birthmark identification
- Oscars 2017: Another Indian actress named Priyanka walked the Red Carpet
- Ranbir Kapoor ready to get the same tattoos as Sanjay Dutt?
- Jolly LLB 2 box office collections: Akshay Kumar's courtroom act still going STRONG!
- Kareena Kapoor Khan has a special NICKNAME for baby Taimur Ali Khan!