Saffronart to hold first live auction in capital
New Delhi: Banking on the strength of Delhi's art market and to celebrate its 100th auction, India's biggest online art auction house Saffronart will be holding its first live auction here Sep 4, organisers said Wednesday.
In the auction titled ‘The Modern Evening Sale’, works of modern masters like S.H. Raza, K.G. Subramanyam, M.F. Husain and Jehangir Sabavala, among others, would be on offer.
Saffronart is an online platform where bidding is done in virtual space, but they do host "live auctions" where people bid for the artworks.
In total, 90 lots will be on sale in this auction.
According to Dinesh Vazirani, co-founder of Saffronart, Delhi has always been a strong market.
"It was important to have physical presence in Delhi as many of our buyers wanted to participate in a live auction here," Vazirani said.
Vazirani also mentioned that today's buyers are discerning and not merely "spectators" of art.
Hence, Saffronart is acquiring fresh art works of all these modern artists to ensure their 100th sale at the national capital is nothing short of a success.
Earlier, Saffronart held two live auctions in Mumbai.
Ever since the online art auction firm was formed in 2000, Vazirani admitted, it has been a roller-coaster ride, but they have learnt from all good and bad phases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will judge contestants on the basis of voice: Shaan
- Salman Khan arrives in Himachal Pradesh to attend Arpita's wedding reception
- Salma Hayek, Colin Farrell weigh in on selfies ban
- Jaden Smith to play Static Shock
- I always apologise for 'Batman and Robin': George Clooney
- Filmmaker Champak Banerjee to start new project soon
- Golshifteh Farahani's beauty is like poetry: Irrfan Khan
- Watch: Emraan Hashmi starrer 'Azhar' teaser unveiled
- Myleene Klass splits from Scandinavian boyfriend?
- Juicy J rushed to hospital before show
- Paltrow launches line of gluten-free organic ready meals
- Flights of imagination: An aeronautical engineer as a famous novelist
- Comic book king Stan Lee to come out with graphic memoir
- Julianna Margulies to author children's picture book
- Unfinished memoirs of Orson Welles found
- Pamela Anderson to launch her photo book
- We are committed to fulfilling Dinkar ji's dreams: PM Modi
- Barbra Streisand's memoir to arrive in 2017
- British pianist wins right to publish memoirs of abuse
- Hungarian author wins Man Booker prize, edges out Amitav Ghosh
- William Shakespeare's real face appears in botany book
- Show is show, books are books: JRR Martin on 'Game of Thrones'
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla